Tortoise newbie.

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi.
I've just acquired...3 days ago...a slightly aged, Hermann's tortoise....Jasmin...
The first day she ran us ragged... power walking around her new outside enclosure... then put herself to bed under a bush... She has always lived out 24/7.
Yesterday, she was a little subdued, eat a couple of dandelions , walked a bit, then off to bed.
Today a little slower and not that interested in food.
Im thinking she's a little stressed by her change of home.... I'm hoping not ill..... what can I do to help her with this upheaval.. any advice will be greatly recieved... also, the first day was about 26°C... yesterday and today about half that... can the sun have such a dramatic effect? Or dco you think stress related.
Many thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stress from the move will be a part of it if not all of it. However, does she have a place to bask under that reaches 95-100F. They have to be able to bask under those temps to properly digest their food and keep inners functioning properly. What are the day time temps where you are? Also she should have a heated hide box to sleep in at night that is heated if needed so temps don't go below 65-70 at night.
Are you sure the previous owners kept her outside with no added heat for the colder temps?

jasmin1

France
Stress from the move will be a part of it if not all of it. However, does she have a place to bask under that reaches 95-100F. They have to be able to bask under those temps to properly digest their food and keep inners functioning properly. What are the day time temps where you are? Also she should have a heated hide box to sleep in at night that is heated if needed so temps don't go below 65-70 at night.
Are you sure the previous owners kept her outside with no added heat for the colder temps?
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Yes she has always been kept outside. In a field. fending for herself for years.
The owner passed away and the house was sold and she was left there.
She had eaten a little today now. Not much.
Daytime temperature here at the minute gets up to about 90°F.. night time probably a little below 60.
She goes onto a stoney mound to sun bathe and buries herself at night. Although I have put a hutch wirth straw in so she can use that if she wants, but at the minute she prefers to be a little more feral.... it's what she has been used to.
I'm in SW France.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, the day temp is good then for basking. It likely is more stress then anything. Older torts can take longer to adjust to their new surroundings. Give her some time. Could take a month, couple months or only days or weeks for her to act normal.

jasmin1

France
Okay, the day temp is good then for basking. It likely is more stress then anything. Older torts can take longer to adjust to their new surroundings. Give her some time. Could take a month, couple months or only days or weeks for her to act normal.
Thanks again.
Yes will give her time and also redesign her large enclosure.
Planting some plantain, clover, dandelions etc.
So it's more like her last home.
Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!
Tortoises have territories, and they go through a period of relocation stress when moved out of their territory. It sounds like this little hermanns tortoise has found a great new home with you, as you are trying to understand what it takes to give it a good life. I'd love to see pictures of your new tortoise.

jasmin1

France
UHi, and welcome!
Tortoises have territories, and they go through a period of relocation stress when moved out of their territory. It sounds like this little hermanns tortoise has found a great new home with you, as you are trying to understand what it takes to give it a good life. I'd love to see pictures of your new tortoise.
She's on the rampage now!

Attachments

• 20230508_173826.jpeg
    20230508_173826.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230508_173737.jpeg
    20230508_173737.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Her mouth area looks a bit strange - is her beak damaged, or is it just the photo !
Angie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise take time to settle in. Provide shelter and rocks and plenty of water and fresh food. The tortoise looks dry I suggest shallow warm water soaks in a high sided container for 30 mins at least once a week this helps hydration and well being . Coconut oil rubbed into the shell can help moisturise. Enjoy your new charge they are great fun to learn about and keep. So not consider a friend as they are loaners.

jasmin1

France
Hi
Thanks for that. I did give her a little soak today but not for long as she thought I was murdering her... and I didn't want to stress her more on top of her move.
I will give it a few days then do as you advise. Is the coconut oil specially for tortoises or will any coconut oil do?
Also.... looking for the best tortoise seed mix to sow, any recommendations?
Im in France so maybe something I can get on Amazon.
She's probably only used to plantain, dandelions and poss clover...
Last 2 questions.. honest.!.(for the minute! )
Is it an idea to put her in her hutch when she goes to bed rather than her squeezing under our jasmin hedge...( which is her bed of choice at the mo.).or should I just let her be..
Age.... thinking she's oldish, purely by her battered and chipped shell and that she's only got 1 claw on one back leg and 2 on the other...
I've been told she is not young but I would love to have a better idea, I know it's not that easy but any pointers appreciated...
Many thanks in advance.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Don't hesitate to ask questions, there is no limit/quota here! She does look pretty old/seasoned...

what are your day/nighttime temps? Can you provide photos of her enclosure?