Large Habitat Assistance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is a mini oil heater that I installed into a 3' tall box. I built this box for a friend's Aldabra after his entire property burned to the ground in the recent fires. This one has a little computer fan to circulate the heat and air, and this is a new design feature that I've begun incorporating into all my boxes. Got the idea and the help getting my first fans from Joe @Dizisdalife a few years ago.
IMG_4541.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG

SULCY

NEW YORK
That's what I did except mine is on the floor on top of a cement paver but it looks like having on a shelf would be better.I also use a fan.

ztgbrawler3

10 Year Member!
Hebron, KY
Nicely done @Tom . I could probably do that in mine with a shelf. I think I'll look into that when it gets warmer and I can take them outside. Thanks.

baldegale

This is a mini oil heater that I installed into a 3' tall box. I built this box for a friend's Aldabra after his entire property burned to the ground in the recent fires. This one has a little computer fan to circulate the heat and air, and this is a new design feature that I've begun incorporating into all my boxes. Got the idea and the help getting my first fans from Joe @Dizisdalife a few years ago.
View attachment 230251
View attachment 230252

is this better than using an RHP and heat mat? does it pose any fire hazard? can you rely on the integrated thermostat on the heater?

ztgbrawler3

10 Year Member!
Hebron, KY
is this better than using an RHP and heat mat? does it pose any fire hazard? can you rely on the integrated thermostat on the heater?

I can't tell you whether it's better than CHEs or RHPs, that's why I started the post, because I was inquiring as well. It would probably be better than a heat mat for tortoises, because they'd likely tear that up, or it'd be less effective on the outside of your cage. Also, I've read somewhere that's its not wise to heat up your tortoise's gut. Also, I definitely would not rely on the built-in thermostat on an oil heater. Those guages aren't very exacting, and you can't calibrate them. Hook it to a thermostat with a probe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Not better. DIfferent. An RHP/Kane mat combo works great in a 4x4x2 night box, but its not enough to heat an entire 4x8x2 box. The mini oil heaters easily heat a 4x8, but it it would be a bit much for a 4x4.

You cannot rely on the integrated thermostat that comes on the units. I've had those allow temp swings of up to 22 degrees. I use a Zilla 1000 watt thermostat or the Leapfrog Jumpstart thermostat, and turn the one on the heater most of the way up. This keeps the temps swings to just a few degrees at most.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't tell you whether it's better than CHEs or RHPs, that's why I started the post, because I was inquiring as well. It would probably be better than a heat mat for tortoises, because they'd likely tear that up, or it'd be less effective on the outside of your cage. Also, I've read somewhere that's its not wise to heat up your tortoise's gut. Also, I definitely would not rely on the built-in thermostat on an oil heater. Those guages aren't very exacting, and you can't calibrate them. Hook it to a thermostat with a probe.

In general, belly heat for tortoises is not recommended, but that is for indoor enclosures with stable temps. In an outdoor heated night box, Kane mats work great at keeping a larger tortoise heated through the night. They are designed and made for large pigs to have their babies on, so they have no trouble standing up to the abuse dished out by a 100+ pound tortoise.

baldegale

Not better. DIfferent. An RHP/Kane mat combo works great in a 4x4x2 night box, but its not enough to heat an entire 4x8x2 box. The mini oil heaters easily heat a 4x8, but it it would be a bit much for a 4x4.

You cannot rely on the integrated thermostat that comes on the units. I've had those allow temp swings of up to 22 degrees. I use a Zilla 1000 watt thermostat or the Leapfrog Jumpstart thermostat, and turn the one on the heater most of the way up. This keeps the temps swings to just a few degrees at most.

id be using it in an outdoor night box for a 6-7in redfoot, just trying to find out ways around of having to buy a RHP (i have no idea how much the heaters cost)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
id be using it in an outdoor night box for a 6-7in redfoot, just trying to find out ways around of having to buy a RHP (i have no idea how much the heaters cost)
The heaters only cost about $30 from Walmart. Then another $30 for the thermostat from LLL Reptile.

The Kane mat and RHP each cost about $100 and you still need the $30 thermostat for these two.

baldegale

The heaters only cost about $30 from Walmart. Then another $30 for the thermostat from LLL Reptile.

The Kane mat and RHP each cost about $100 and you still need the $30 thermostat for these two.

i know about the thermostats, id be building a 4x2 or a 5x2 night box probably. just dont know if itd be logical to do it that way or not. im sure just a RHP would be enough for something that small.

baldegale

(also i did make a separate thread about this but got no responses i apologize for asking so many questions)