Talison's new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clinton, MO, USA
At this point it's still a work in progress but almost done! I wantedto do 4 ft x 4 ft floor space but could not fit that size in my car lol! Had to go with 3ft x 4ft with 2 ft high walls, I wanted the height in the walls so I could give a nice deep substrate for digging and tunneling and whatever else he can do with it. So far I have heat lamp setup, a cinder block, the uvb, and 4-5inches of substrate in there. I need more substrate. Gonna get it tomorrow. The inside has been sealed with a non-toxic water based polycrylic, the woman in paint has her own boxies and used it for hers, I had also used it to seal my bearded dragons enclosure and it has worked great so far. I just have to finish painting the outside black, choose the sides to face out (its still up on the work frame.) and paint his name on it. I was going to have it on the work table forever but the legsplus the walls equal too tall. So its getting downgraded to the floor once I get rid of the old desk and computer behind it. Will attemp to attached photos now ;)

Attachments

• DSCF5007.JPG
    DSCF5007.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF5009.JPG
    DSCF5009.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF5006.JPG
    DSCF5006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 44

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very cool....i would imagine that since your walls are so tall you may be able to (or should I say, I would :D) cut a couple of 2x4s the width + an inch or two longer and then lay/mount those across the top and mount your lights to that so that they are directly over head vs on the side or on the edge???? just a suggestion :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! I have that same couch!!

library-1.jpg

Nice habitat.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
Finished painting, tomorrow I get the rest ofthe cypress mulch. Will a cardboard box work for a temporary hide/house?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, the cardboard box will work for temp....or perhaps you may have a plastic container that a plant came in, you could cut it in half and sink it a bit into the substrate like a half moon burrow/hide opening????

Or anything that can be climbed into and snugged into???? They are not too picky...:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Or on the opposite side that you put your crosspiece and light, you could build a hide box with a small ramp to the 'roof'? They do like climbing!
With your height, it could be 8" high and your tort still couldn't get out. Might add a bit more 'floor' space.
Nice job!

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
Thanks guys, I have 2 3x4 ft pieces of scrap from cutting to make this to play with so as soon as I get new jigsaw blades the fun begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.