Tortoise Enclosure

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi again, I have been sketching and thinking a lot more about my Russian Tortoises Outdoor enclosure. I've decided to make a 10x4 instead of a 8x4. I learned a lot of things, but I still have some questions.
1: What does primer and Behr paint do to wood?
2: If I do use primer and Behr paint on the night box, do I have to paint in the inside?
3: My ground had been weed fertilized, is the soil still safe to use?
4: Is this a good plywood (I'm sorry, Im terrible at choosing wood :() https://www.homedepot.com/p/19-32-i...ual-0-563-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-407735/206821342
Thanks in advance and I hope yall have a good day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi again, I have been sketching and thinking a lot more about my Russian Tortoises Outdoor enclosure. I've decided to make a 10x4 instead of a 8x4. I learned a lot of things, but I still have some questions.
2: If I do use primer and Behr paint on the night box, do I have to paint in the inside?
4: Is this a good plywood (I'm sorry, Im terrible at choosing wood :() https://www.homedepot.com/p/19-32-i...ual-0-563-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-407735/206821342
1. It coats and protects the wood from moisture and rot.
2. You don't have to, but you can if you want. Air it out well before putting the tortoise in it if you paint the inside.
3. What does "weed fertilized" mean? Fertilizer is one thing and weed killer is another. Fertilizer use is fine AS LONG AS the tortoise does not ever have direct access to the fertilizer product. If the lawn was fertilized months ago and there are no "granules" or anything like that, it should be fine. Weed killer is a toxic poison and that is another story. "Weed n Feed" type products have weed killers in them. There are many variables that determine how toxic those products are and for how long. Personally, I wouldn't want a tortoise living in such an area for about a year, and I wouldn't use toxic poisons in my tortoise's area ever.
4. That plywood is fine, but its overkill and it will be very heavy. The thickness of that one is 19/32. 11/32 will do the job just fine if sealed and insulated properly.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
1. It coats and protects the wood from moisture and rot.
2. You don't have to, but you can if you want. Air it out well before putting the tortoise in it if you paint the inside.
3. What does "weed fertilized" mean? Fertilizer is one thing and weed killer is another. Fertilizer use is fine AS LONG AS the tortoise does not ever have direct access to the fertilizer product. If the lawn was fertilized months ago and there are no "granules" or anything like that, it should be fine. Weed killer is a toxic poison and that is another story. "Weed n Feed" type products have weed killers in them. There are many variables that determine how toxic those products are and for how long. Personally, I wouldn't want a tortoise living in such an area for about a year, and I wouldn't use toxic poisons in my tortoise's area ever.
4. That plywood is fine, but its overkill and it will be very heavy. The thickness of that one is 19/32. 11/32 will do the job just fine if sealed and insulated properly.
I'm sorry, I meant weed killer, Is there any way to make the dirt safe for my tortoise because I'm planning to keep him outside from spring till autumn. I couldn't find any other plywood in my area that is 11/32 in. will this plywood be okay even though its made out of pine? https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-32-i...ellow-Pine-Plywood-Sheathing-112590/100003677

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm sorry, I meant weed killer, Is there any way to make the dirt safe for my tortoise because I'm planning to keep him outside from spring till autumn. I couldn't find any other plywood in my area that is 11/32 in. will this plywood be okay even though it’s made out of pine? https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-32-i...ellow-Pine-Plywood-Sheathing-112590/100003677
Pine plywood in general is completely fine to use and would not normally release enough fumes to be toxic to a tortoise, especially if sealed like it would be in an indoor closed chamber style enclosure, and definitely wouldn’t cause problems outdoors where it is completely ventilated. It’s the sap that’s toxic, and plywood should have no sap. Any other fumes from being made into plywood would evaporate during the first week or two it was manufactured, and what’s left when you buy it is negligible. It’s pine shavings as substrate you want to avoid :)

Last edited:

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Pine plywood in general is completely fine to use and would not normally release enough fumes to be toxic to a tortoise, especially if sealed like it would be in an indoor closed chamber style enclosure, and definitely wouldn’t cause problems outdoors where it is completely ventilated. It’s the sap that’s toxic, and plywood should have no sap. Any other fumes from being made into plywood would evaporate during the first week or two it was manufactured, and what’s left when you buy it is negligible. It’s pine shavings as substrate you want to avoid :)
Thanks, I' a lot more relived since this wood was so much more cheaper. Can I still use it for the night box?

tardy421

Carson, CA
I made a 4ft x 4ft night box with that plywood and used 1.5in x 1.5in x 8 ft for frames. It came out kinda heavy (needed 2 adults to carry it during construction (so only 3 of 4 sides were made then and it felt close to 70 pounds already as it was insulated with 1.5 in foam boards from home depot as well. Go with the light board itll save u money as well!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think you would have to remove a fairly large amount of top soil from the area where you are putting the enclosure, and also outside the edges of where the enclosure would be, and then level it up with safe untreated soil -perhaps you know someone who would let you have some from their garden ?
Angie

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I think you would have to remove a fairly large amount of top soil from the area where you are putting the enclosure, and also outside the edges of where the enclosure would be, and then level it up with safe untreated soil -perhaps you know someone who would let you have some from their garden ?
Angie
I have an area right in front of my backyard with a bunch of weeds growing and a bunch of soil that we never touched since there were so much plants and weeds, I could try to get soil there, sadly I don't have a wheelbarrow so it might take a while