oil filled electric radiator

donna torti

Hi I have ad a shed built it is 4 ft x 4 ft floor space going into a huge run . I am hoping to keep my leopard in ther overnight when temps drop threw the summer . I was going to put an oil filled radiator in ther corned safely off . I have been told I will poison my torti with the fumes but how do they give fumes off ?? Could do with a.few opinions on this.pls

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi Donna. A very warm welcome to the forum!

Alaskamike

South Florida
I've used these, I know many others have also. It does not give off fumes, nothig is burning. IMO one of the safest heat sources around. Gives out an even heat. Walled off is perfectly safe.

donna torti

I've used these, I know many others have also. It does not give off fumes, nothig is burning. IMO one of the safest heat sources around. Gives out an even heat. Walled off is perfectly safe.
Thankyou that's what I thought . Beta safe then sorry I thought

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have ad a shed built it is 4 ft x 4 ft floor space going into a huge run . I am hoping to keep my leopard in ther overnight when temps drop threw the summer . I was going to put an oil filled radiator in ther corned safely off . I have been told I will poison my torti with the fumes but how do they give fumes off ?? Could do with a.few opinions on this.pls

You will need to run it on low only and use a separate thermostat. Here is one in use:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Insulation is key. Without good insulation and sealing, you will just be heating the world.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Donna:

Obviously the person who told you they give off fumes had no idea what they were talking about. First of all, it's a sealed unit. And secondly, the electric part doesn't heat the oil hot enough to give off fumes. I love my oil-filled electric radiator.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Come to think of it, when you get a new one and first turn it on, it does give off a funny smell for a few minutes. I just run mine a couple of time before using them in a closed box.

I don't think the new heater smell is toxic or problematic in any way, and it won't be there after the first time or two you turn it on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom, I always attributed that to the new paint warming up. Once it's been conditioned it stops smelling.

donna torti

Thankyou everyone I feel beta now . What sort off temps do I need to keep in the shed overnight ?

donna torti

I am really nervous about leaving g her out all night but she's very big and heavy . I will b putting her in ther overnight and hoping to open the hatch on morning weather permitting

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I use couple in my torts house. I never smell anything. I don't think it will harm any torts! ! !

Alaskamike

South Florida
If I were you I would set up the heater BEFORE putting torts in there all night

Adjust so it comes on and turns off at temp you want it at.

Check how it works. Get it adjusted. THEN introduce torts to the shed

As Tom mentioned. Without good insulation you'll be waiting energy trying to get it to stay at temp. Do that 1st.

donna torti

Where are you? Climate factors into this advice.

What temp do you keep the overnight low at now?
Hi I am West Yorkshire . Humid box kept at.90 overnight she always sleeps in ther . Rest off tortoise table 75

donna torti

If I were you I would set up the heater BEFORE putting torts in there all night

Adjust so it comes on and turns off at temp you want it at.

Check how it works. Get it adjusted. THEN introduce torts to the shed

As Tom mentioned. Without good insulation you'll be waiting energy trying to get it to stay at temp. Do that 1st.
Yes I will check everything perfect before she goes.in

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I am West Yorkshire . Humid box kept at.90 overnight she always sleeps in ther . Rest off tortoise table 75

As in England? Cold clammy England? I don't know how to keep them in that sort of climate. Its too cold and clammy almost every day over there. Personally I wouldn't house them outside at all. I would have a room size properly heated and lit indoor enclosure and I would just put them in a proper outdoor enclosure on the days that were warm and sunny enough.

The premise behind my boxes working is that most of our days here are warm and sunny, and the box is just a warm retreat for the occasional chilly winter day and our cooler nights. In other words a warm box just sustains them over night until they can come out and warm up in the sun each day.

@Yourlocalpoet has a leopard over there and her's is gorgeous too. Perhaps she will see this and come up with some good advice for you.

donna torti

As in England? Cold clammy England? I don't know how to keep them in that sort of climate. Its too cold and clammy almost every day over there. Personally I wouldn't house them outside at all. I would have a room size properly heated and lit indoor enclosure and I would just put them in a proper outdoor enclosure on the days that were warm and sunny enough.

The premise behind my boxes working is that most of our days here are warm and sunny, and the box is just a warm retreat for the occasional chilly winter day and our cooler nights. In other words a warm box just sustains them over night until they can come out and warm up in the sun each day.

@Yourlocalpoet has a leopard over there and her's is gorgeous too. Perhaps she will see this and come up with some good advice for you.
Yes cold clammy England it's a nightmare . I hope someone from England can jump in I need a little help thankyou . I wander how ppl here do manage ther large leopards ??