Large indoor hab refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Whew. I am in the middle of a large-scale refurbishing of my almost 4'x10' indoor Red-foot habitat, which I posted about a couple months ago (and am too tired to look up right now. :) )

I'm removing most of the soil so I can add 16' worth of 11" wide Flex-Watt heat strips under the soil to get the soil temps up to 83-85F (using a thermostat controller), which should boost room temps and increase humidity. (Soil heating works by heating the moisture in the soil, so it automatically generates humidity- but you also need to keep the soil moist.)

I am also mixing in some more sand in an effort to keep the soil mix from compacting quite so much. I had tried to rake it periodically but the herd compacted it faster than I could stay ahead of it.

Let's see, what else can I add to delay my return to the project? I added a plant spot light for the potted plants, and a low-output UVB bulb, and I think I am starting to like heat lamps more than ceramic emitters in this large habitat.

After I get the soil back, the next part of the remodel is to add a row of plants along the back and side walls, with a couple big things along the 'cool end' short wall- a fiscus and something else. A small 'retaining wall' should let me pile the soil up nice and deep on that end and have it stay there. Then we add the hermit crabs. Should be a lot of fun! I've held off on these until I could get the soil heater in, which had to wait for some cash flow, etc.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
everything sounds wonderful! I'd love to see pictures of the process and finished product...but I don't understand about the crabs?

Shalon

5 Year Member
Sounds very cool!
I love hermit crabs..I used to have 20 of them. I'm not sure I'd want to put them in with a tortoise though since when they molt they bury themselves and become pretty helpless until their exoskeleton hardens..wouldn't want them becoming tortoise food.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Can't wait to see pictures Madkins. Hopefully the Hermit Crabs work for you. How many Redfoots are going into that enclosure?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Here is the original thread- http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-9289.html. Right now it is back in operation and early reports are good. I'm going to give the new in-soil heater tape a chance to get fully up to speed before making the next changes (plants and hermit crabs). It does not look a lot different right now, so no photos (besides, kid has the camera! :( )

Hermit crabs are used by many European keepers to 'take out the trash' in the habitats. A Red-foot habitat is nearly spot-on for the crabs (especially the ones with the larger purple claws). The crabs are nocturnal and need a good, tortoise-proof hide. My group of 3 will get plant branches (the ficus, etc.) as well as semi-buried small tub with a small entryway. If any of the crabs is dumb enough to get eaten, I am sure the Red-foot will enjoy the $5 snack.

Candy- the habitat is for all 5 of mine, from 8" to 4" so far.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
After only a day, I am happy with the substrate heating. It is holding nicely at 85 and has boosted the humidity effortlessly. I just need to keep it dampened (I'm using a watering can and doing it 2xdaily- once overall, once on the strips).

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Pictures! Have any of your RFs made snacks out of those crabs? I would think that to a omnivorous tort, they would smell delicious!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Like I said, it looks almost like it did in the earlier picture-heavy thread. I'll post photos when the plants are in place- probably this weekend. The crabs will come after.

I'm no sure why so many of us here are sure the crabs will get eaten. If it works in Europe, why would it not work here?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Do you have any links to the keepers that use this method in Europe? I'm curious to see the two species co-habitating. At first, I was worried for your torts--those crabs can really pinch. But the more I thought about it, the more likely it seems something will happen to your crabs. It'd be great if everything works out for you.

Also, I'm just an enclosure junkie. Especially ones with live plants. RF habitats are so sweet. Its hard to do much when your main bedding is aspen, like mine is! And when you manage to kill every plant in your possession!

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
trying to find the substrate heaters on line, for here in the US of A. got any links or exact name of the product? thanks
altho I wonder about wet substrate and shell rot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
llamas55 said:
trying to find the substrate heaters on line, for here in the US of A. got any links or exact name of the product? thanks
altho I wonder about wet substrate and shell rot

There are quite a few different places that sell them. Here's just one:

http://bestbudsgreenhousesupplies.com/heating-mats.htm

Since this subject came up, I went out to my over-grown storage shed and rooted around for the one that I bought many years ago and is still new in the box. I brought it in and now have it under my baby tortoise containers. It says on the box that it doesn't heat up over 85 degrees, and I really love it for the babies. These pictures are going to look like some sort of optical illusion, but I'll try to explain for you. The first on is looking at the side of the outside of a baby habitat, showing the cord going under the habitat:

100_0963.jpg

And this picture I've slid the habitat out away from the mat:

100_0964.jpg

The mat is two pieces of mylar with heating coils in between, then they're stuck together. It works like a champ and I'm so glad that the subject came up. Thanks to Madkins!!

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

Shalon

5 Year Member
I think we are going to end up trying this on our table because I am having a really hard time keeping the humidity up.
We went to a reptile store today and talked to them because they had something similar for sale and he told us that it wouldn't be a good item for us to use but didn't recommend anything else for us to try.
We just need to figure out how much of it we need.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you call Big Apple, they can walk you through the planning and what you'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.