Plants bought at lowes for the enclosure

PMQ

I just purchased a spider plant, jade plant, and dracaena from lowes to enhance my tortoises indoor enclosure. Should I plant them in organic soil(which I just bought) and put them into the enclosure or should leave them in the organic soil for a while before placing them in the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Because one never knows what kind of systemic pesticides nurseries might have used on their plants, most people will allow the new plant to grow for a while in new dirt before putting it into the habitat. You can wash the old dirt off the roots and re-pot in new soil, then give it a couple weeks to flush out its system.

Having said that, I've never been one to follow the rules. If I see a plant that I want to put into a habitat, I buy it and plant it. I try to protect the plant for a while, though, just to give it a good start. Little popsicle fences do a good job of keeping the babies away from the plants.

PMQ

Because one never knows what kind of systemic pesticides nurseries might have used on their plants, most people will allow the new plant to grow for a while in new dirt before putting it into the habitat. You can wash the old dirt off the roots and re-pot in new soil, then give it a couple weeks to flush out its system.

Having said that, I've never been one to follow the rules. If I see a plant that I want to put into a habitat, I buy it and plant it. I try to protect the plant for a while, though, just to give it a good start. Little popsicle fences do a good job of keeping the babies away from the plants.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409426272.697670.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409426285.614484.jpg this soil is ok right?

AZTorts

Arizona

Yvonne, I thought I would just ask you a quick plant question here instead of starting a whole new thread. Do you know if gojo berry plants or berries are okay to feed desert tortoises? I have tried to find out online but can't find anything definitive. I did find this so I'm thinking it would be good for them...

H – Wolfberry (Lycium Fremontii)

• Edible fruit – our native Goji berry
  • Forage for animals
  • Bird attractor
  • Groundcover that suppresses grass and controls evaporation.

AZTorts

Arizona
I found "Goji Berry" and the whole plant is edible. It is used as a leaf vegetable in China.

Thank you Yvonne. I don't know if it's exactly the same plant but there is a Goji Berry that grows wild in the desert. The berries are considered a 'super food' for people but I was sure if it was safe for torts. I actually ordered some plants from Calf. a few years ago.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Man... goji berries are delicious... :D I would wait a bit before giving the plants.. never know what they put on there :confused:

AZTorts

Arizona
Man... goji berries are delicious... :D I would wait a bit before giving the plants.. never know what they put on there :confused:

I've had these plants for over 2 years. They keep dying back for some reason. Just when I think they're dead I start to see new little leaf buds. LOL The berries are great when they're ripe. Not so good if you pick them too soon. LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just purchased a spider plant, jade plant, and dracaena from lowes to enhance my tortoises indoor enclosure. Should I plant them in organic soil(which I just bought) and put them into the enclosure or should leave them in the organic soil for a while before placing them in the enclosure?

We have an experienced member here that works in a commercial plant nursery. He let us know that all plants bought at the store, like yours, have been treated with systemic pesticides. This means those plants tissues are infused with toxic pesticides. This is why they look so nice and the bugs don't eat them. Because I don't do this with the plants that I grow, mine get chewed on by bugs. Even if you remove the soil it was grown in, it takes up to one year for the pesticides to dissipate. I would not allow a tortoise access to those plants for one year.