Large Leopard Tortoise

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I knew I had a pic of this female leopard tortoise that I imported in 1974. This is the tortoise but, not the pic I am looking for, My wife found an old shoe box with a bunch of 35mm negatives mixed in with Christmas Stuff that we haven't used in many years. I used to develop my own film and didn't always make pictures, I don't remember who the people are in the picture but the building is where the tortoise lived from the end of 1974 until about July 1975. She weighed 75 pounds and I paid more to have her shipped to Dulles Airport from South Africa than what the tortoise cost. Even with inflation factored in it was less than what it would cost today. Had to pay with Krugerrand's and our dollar was pretty strong at that time which helped greatly.largefemaleleopardimport1974.jpgAs I remember it the picture I can't find is better

Len B

10 Year Member!
Great photo
Do you know where this tortoise is now ?
Good reminder of how large a Leopard tortoise can get.
No I don't what became of her, Into the 1980s she was used for educational purposes in the Washington DC Metro Area, but I lost contact with her keeper.
How cool.... too bad the tort looks pretty miserable with that rugrat on his back......
Actually she seemed to take to captivity surprisingly well. Never heard of any egg laying though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that would be very cool to have one that big. Could love to know if she ius still alive and how she looks now. Thanks for sharing, glad you found this pic, hopefully the other one will show up.

donna van

She's beautiful, I'm a new parent of two hatchling and I'm a nervous wreck even after tons of homework and talking to different Tort sellers. I'm constantly reading more and more it keeps me up @ night lol, my littlest one (in size) a couple of days ago I noticed LITTLE LITTLE white spots, of course being a new mom I was thinking the worst and KNEW it was some kind of Bad thing going on and than the word ROT showed up I about had a heart attack!!!! But came on here and saw a new mom have the same issue and WONDERFUL ppl applauding her saying no worries she growing! Whew. I'm a member for life. Thanks for being here!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that is indeed an impressive looking tortoise. it would be very neat to learn what happened to her.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Good reminder of how large a Leopard tortoise can get.
I had no idea leopards could get that big!!

Such a cool story! It really puts the tortoise lifespan in perspective! ;) I wonder what became of her too, but it sounds like she was having a pretty good life for the time being. I hope the rest of her life has been great so far too!! What was her name?

Thanks for sharing the photo! It's always fun stumbling across old photos and retelling the stories. Would love to see more old tortoise photos too.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I had no idea leopards could get that big!!

Such a cool story! It really puts the tortoise lifespan in perspective! ;) I wonder what became of her too, but it sounds like she was having a pretty good life for the time being. I hope the rest of her life has been great so far too!! What was her name?

Thanks for sharing the photo! It's always fun stumbling across old photos and retelling the stories. Would love to see more old tortoise photos too.
  • Here you go a male Yellow Foot that I had in the early 70s.yellowfoot.jpg ron and sharon 1.jpg He was 28 inches straight. as with a lot of the reptiles imported back then he did not survive. When I got him he could not use his back legs to lift up. Very little was known about how important it is to fix a vitamin deficiency in reptiles. Blubber and Beaver.jpg Just for fun here are Beaver and Blubber the "rat eating" frog in 1976. Found the negative for this pic today.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Here you go a male Yellow Foot that I had in the early 70s.View attachment 159105 View attachment 159104 He was 28 inches straight. as with a lot of the reptiles imported back then he did not survive. When I got him he could not use his back legs to lift up. Very little was known about how important it is to fix a vitamin deficiency in reptiles. View attachment 159103 Just for fun here are Beaver and Blubber the "rat eating" frog in 1976. Found the negative for this pic today.
That is just too cool. I can't wait to share with my fiancé! :D Thanks!