Large tort/cold weather enclosure with greenhouse...

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Does anyone have one? A heated outdoor shed with a greenhouse attached that leads/is in a large tort yard? I am wondering if this would be a good idea if we move to a colder climate and/or what any possible draw backs would be. If you do have a greenhouse you have converted, does it hold up to snow load? Any suggestions on type? If we can milk out a few more months of "nicer" weather I am wondering if it might be a good idea. I have thought of building my own out of reclaimed materials but the windows would need to be double insulated (I am assuming.)

If you have done this type of project before, please let me know and post pictures if you have them! (Or links, anything helpful.) I know we are just hitting summertime sun but I would like to get some ideas as we start looking at property/places to live.

Thank you!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I will be stalking this thread for ideas since it sounds like you are looking to build exactly what I am looking to build.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I will be stalking this thread for ideas since it sounds like you are looking to build exactly what I am looking to build.

I am finding SO many ideas but want to make sure:

A) It will be worth it in regards to keeping things warmer, longer.

B) It won't fry him in hotter weather.

C) It will last depending on where we move (snow load/rot/whatever.)

D) The cost will be cheaper than a divorce attorney (because my husband is gonna kill me)

E) It will last a Sulcata (he is still bitty so I am hoping if he grows up with this he won't attempt to plow through it. Maybe. Or maybe not...lol)

nice.jpg

shed.jpg

Last edited:

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Oh, yes. D. could be a problem. :D

Those are gorgeous!
I have been thinking about modifying a run-in horse shed with an attached tack room. They are built to withstand a horse kick, so I figure they may have a shot at keeping a hungry sulcata in...at least for a while.
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/72859/i...-600.jpg?t=1434388600479&width=437&height=285

On the tack room side I was thinking to have a split door with double ceiling (one at the mid point of the door and then the regular height one) so the lower half would be a heated hide and the upper part for hay storage (which would double as increased insulation) with separate access doors, and the run-in side swap out greenhouse glass ceiling for tile over part of it and close off most of the run-in door with greenhouse glass on the top half? Still spit-balling here, but in these parts it's easy to come by someone who can build a horse/pig/cow/goat shed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a while ago someone posted a quonset hut type greenhouse. It was PVC bent overlaid with plastic film. He was in a snow area and some of the pictures showed snow on the greenhouse. I'm not good at "search", but I'll look for it. And I'll also ask @jaizei to look. He's really, really good at finding things on the forum.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Quite a while ago someone posted a quonset hut type greenhouse. It was PVC bent overlaid with plastic film. He was in a snow area and some of the pictures showed snow on the greenhouse. I'm not good at "search", but I'll look for it. And I'll also ask @jaizei to look. He's really, really good at finding things on the forum.

When I have some time (in more than 5 minute block) I'll find some similar greenhouse designs that use hog/cattle panels for the structure instead of pvc. I prefer them because there's a smidgen more protection. You can even (easily) attach hardware clothing to the underside for additional protection/keep cats out.

I think I've seen such a thing. Or I just invented it but I wouldn't give myself that much credit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I have some time (in more than 5 minute block) I'll find some similar greenhouse designs that use hog/cattle panels for the structure instead of pvc. I prefer them because there's a smidgen more protection. You can even (easily) attach hardware clothing to the underside for additional protection/keep cats out.

I think I've seen such a thing. Or I just invented it but I wouldn't give myself that much credit.

Don't tell me you're getting old???? I sometimes don't know if a thought is because of something I dreamt or something I'm remembering. The cattle panel structure sounds interesting.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Oh man! I didn't think I had a prayer of finding it. I couldn't find it in the Forum's search, but I Googled it and found it:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-greenhouse-and-heated-shed-on-a-budget.84140/
I love Google:

http://www.ericsprojects.com/?page_id=228

I wish the pictures were bigger.

Wow! It looks so simple and inexpensive that I am tempted to try something similar this fall over Odin's playpen just to try and eek out a few additional weeks of outside time for him.
I am already dreading the epic temper tantrum he is sure to throw when he is once again stuck in the house all day every day. :(

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Ohhhhh.... I like all of these. Thank you!! Loved that video about the torts in Canada (who knew?!) I also wonder if that PVC held up after a few large snow loads. I wonder if you could make something with a wood frame and those acrylic panels (the wavy kind at the hardware store) and if that would keep it warmer. Hmmmm.... all of this has given me MUCH food for thought. I think I might try the PVC or cattle panel set up over his raised bed this fall and see how it goes...

Hmmmm.... Hmmmm..... these little wheels are turning...lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use a greenhouse outside my torts door. As long as you have sun, it works pretty good. I also have a small heater in it just to help out on those fairly warm days, that doesn't give much sun. They won't hold heat once the sun is down though. I do think it's worth the money to extend summer months further into the cold winter. As for the weight of the snow, keep it cleaned off. Also, the lower the roof the easier to keep it warmer at tort level. Oh, and mine is all plastic. One with wood and real windows would probably work better, but it will still get really cold when the sun is not out.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I use a greenhouse outside my torts door. As long as you have sun, it works pretty good. I also have a small heater in it just to help out on those fairly warm days, that doesn't give much sun. They won't hold heat once the sun is down though. I do think it's worth the money to extend summer months further into the cold winter. As for the weight of the snow, keep it cleaned off. Also, the lower the roof the easier to keep it warmer at tort level. Oh, and mine is all plastic. One with wood and real windows would probably work better, but it will still get really cold when the sun is not out.

Do you have a photo? I would love to see it if you don't mind (I am super visual.) Great idea on keeping it lower, I wonder if I could make a hinged top for cleaning? Hmmmm.....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have a photo? I would love to see it if you don't mind (I am super visual.) Great idea on keeping it lower, I wonder if I could make a hinged top for cleaning? Hmmmm.....
In this thread is a picture. I don't really have a better one. Excuse myself out of it. It's another members funny LOL. I don't have a picture of the greenhouse attached, I will take one tomorrow if I remember.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bouaboua-visit.119302/