Greenhouse enclosures

alisonk99

Location (City and/or State)
County Antrim
We have just bought a new greenhouse for our tortoises to get out in when it warms up a bit, we want to build an enclosure beside it and leave a small hole so they can come in and out as they please. Has anyone done anything similar that they could send us photos please? Just to get an idea of the best way to do things. And if anyone could advise a good greenhouse heater that would be great too. Thank you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello across the Irish Sea :)

I never used a greenhouse because it was so poorly insulated. A greenhouse heater really only keeps the chill off rather than heats it properly.

Joe had a cold frame, but we didn’t heat that. We had a basking lamp in an insulated dog kennel for him too.

Have you seen this thread I put together about keeping Joe outside in the UK?
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

alisonk99

County Antrim
Hello,
Really enjoyed reading your post and found it very helpful,
We have an old wooden kennel we are hoping to put a heat lamp in at one end of their yard and then have the green house as another option at the other end so they have plenty of options, going to build a few raised beds that we are hoping to plant with weeds and tortoise friendly plants. Would you add a cold frame too? Our house is built a funny shape and it leaves a very sheltered wee yard out the back that is secure and well fenced to keep the dogs out. It gets the sun from early morning to late evening but in the summer it gets very hot and you can hardly sit in it so need something to provide shade for them too, would big leafy plants be enough or should we build them something like a large humid hide so they can escape the heat if it gets too hot (probably about 2 days of the year [emoji1])
Have added a few photos, just waiting to the Perspex to arrive for the greenhouse instead of the glass, it is special stuff that will allow the uva/uvb though so even if it’s chilly outside they will still be getting the good of the sun light. we have rolls of bubble wrap to do it for some more heat in the autumn but imagine they will use the kennel more. If you had any advice/ ideas on what we can do to make it the best possible environment we can provide for them am very keen to hear them. x IMG_1765.jpgIMG_1764.jpgIMG_1766.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise is going to be allowed in that area where the Cozy Coupe is, be sure to pick up all those colored bits of plastic. He'll try to eat them.

alisonk99

County Antrim
If the tortoise is going to be allowed in that area where the Cozy Coupe is, be sure to pick up all those colored bits of plastic. He'll try to eat them.

Yes apologies we had been having a clearout and had just moved the trampoline and left a few bit of toys behind. We are getting new stones put down so there will be nothing for him to eat. Hoping to add beds too and generally tidy it all up.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How big/old is your Hermann ‘s? I am asking because size really matters and I would keep it entirely indoors until it weighs at least 300g. Just limit outside time to short stops on the warmest days until then.

alisonk99

County Antrim
How big/old is your Hermann ‘s? I am asking because size really matters and I would keep it entirely indoors until it weighs at least 300g. Just limit outside time to short stops on the warmest days until then.

He is only 86g don’t plan to leave him outside overnight but would like him out during the day as much as possible. It’s very hard when there is so much conflicting information out there, other people have said they can be outside from a few months old, Others say they should never be outside! Would just like a nice safe area where he could go if it was really warm and sunny. Our summers wouldn’t be just as warm but the wee bit we are hoping to sort out for them is a wee sun trap and really holds the heat.