Large tortoise transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I'm looking at adopting a large sulcata. I was just wondering what the safest way to transport it would be?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Are you refering as in like being shipped accross country or states? Or like in a car or truck?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
A big tub. I use cement mixing tubs from home depot they are like 8 bucks. Or for massive biggens, I buy rubber horse troughs at tractor supply company. They work great and are usually cheaper than large rubbermaid tubs.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Depends on the size.

My large tortoise fits in a big rubbermaid container with a blanket on the bottom (for digging / cuddling). When he gets bigger I plan on getting a hatchback SUV and just sticking him back there. I giggle when I hear him sliding around back there now... lol!

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
He's about 2 feet long. My car has a huge trunk. and the back seats fold down to give him air.

Here he or she is

Attachments

• securedownload (5).jpg
    securedownload (5).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 90

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
yeah for one that size I use these mamba jambas from Tractor supply company. They are bigger than the home depot mixing tubs for biggens like that. Also they are made out of the more flexible "tuff rubber". Kinda flexible and UV sun exposure doesnt split, or cause them to die. I have about 12 of them had some for many many years.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...ose-mixing-tub-26-gal---35-cu-ft?cm_vc=-10005

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
My tort doesn't mind just being put right into the car with a blanket. The only problems with this are that they will slide around (not sure how you feel about that), and they might wreck the carpet in your car (pees and poops).

Another problem is that if they can get up to the front seats (when your back seats are folded down) he/she might try to climb into your lap or into the front seat.

If any of that worries you, tortadise's option will be better.

My tort in the front seat, for short drives:

"Where are we going, mummy?"

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Okay. Thanks. I'm looking at picking him up hopefully thursday. believe it or not this guy was a "stray"

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I plan on it. Do you think he will fit in the front floor board? From what the guy says this tort is very friendly.

The car ride will only be about 20 mins tops.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
How much does he weigh?

It all really depends on your car, the tort, and your comfort level. If he is big enough to climb up and interfere with your driving then sitting on the passenger side floorboards isn't safe. My guy also tried to dig under the seat, and there are all sorts of springs and contraptions under there that might be harmful.

If he isn't too heavy, may as well give it a try. You can completely cover him with a blanket during the ride to soothe him and perhaps settle him down so he is less likely to move. Prepare the trunk area just in case, though. Or perhaps call a friend who has a truck.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Cool, it'd probably be safer. Especially for such a big, round guy like that. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
The new tort will be coming home in about an hour and a half. I'm so excited! I'm not sure if its a male or female yet. So once I get him/her settled, I'll post some pictures to see if anyone can help out.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Looks like your stray is a real healthy tort. Good luck and can't wait for the thread showing pics and a name

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Status
Not open for further replies.