We are MOVING! Best way to transport 2 tortoises???

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
We are moving from Florida to Ohio in a few months! We cannot find any information as to the best way to transport Peter & Lois (our torts). Peter is about 6" long and Lois is about 5 1/2" long. Also need to know the best way to keep them heated during the trip. Any help would be gladly appreciated :)

P1060449.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
If you are going by car,a kennel crate could be used.Put some mulch inside,maybe drape a blanket over it. I'm assuming they would be inside the vehicle with you,so heat shouldn't be a problem.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! We weren't sure if we needed a heating pad or lights or not since they will be in the cab of the moving truck with us.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
The temperatures inside should be fine.If you think they are too cool,you could put a hot water bottle in with them,but it would have to be refilled periodically. Or a heat pack,wrapped in a towel could be used.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would buy some of those heating pads they sell to ship tortoises in just case you need them if it gets to cold.
Like I always say it is better to have them and not need the then to need them and not have them.

I say other stuff also but this seemed most appropriate in this case.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Well if you brought a few Gallon size Zipper type Freezer bags, and a couple of aquarium thermometers. You could always stop and fill them with warm water.

I'm always filled with idea, but I seldomely accomplish anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a GOOGLE search for a product called Hot Hands.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Thank you for all of the info! How about the actual box or (we we're kinda thinking a tote). We had read somewhere that they should be in a small confined space so they don't move around too much to prevent injury. Where I see the point in that, I think it's kinda cruel to keep them in such a small confined space for that long. We're talking a 2 day trip here, about 10-12 hours driving each day.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
We use a storage tote for our sulcata when traveling. If you do make sure to buy one that isnt clear, ours is wayyy calmer now that we switched to a green tinted one.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I always took Tank to Indiana when we go to visit. I used a plastic tote and put a heating pad on low under because if you stop for any amount of time you dont have to worry about them staying warm. I have a power converter that I plug the heating pad into. The hot hands work to but only stay warm for a few hours so get extra.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Thanks Missy! We already bought a power converter in preparation for the trip... that was kinda the lines we were thinking :)
What part of Illinois are you from? I'm originally from Illinois :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
peterandlois said:
Thanks Missy! We already bought a power converter in preparation for the trip... that was kinda the lines we were thinking :)

Well i am not from here but I live in Petersburg. It's about 20 miles north of Springfield. It's a beautiful historic town with rolling hills. I love it here but I will be moving to Indiana next summer:(

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Missy said:
peterandlois said:

Well i am not from here but I live in Petersburg. It's about 20 miles north of Springfield. It's a beautiful historic town with rolling hills. I love it here but I will be moving to Indiana next summer:(

HA! I used to live in Athens!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I have traveled a lot with tortoises. Go on line and buy some Hot Hands they are wonderful and last about 12 hours. Put the torts in a cardboard box that closes up tight, and lay the Hot Hands over half of the box so the torts can move off of them if they get too hot. You want them to be in the dark so they sleep most of the way and not get stressed out by the move. That's what has worked best for me over the years...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they are a little cooler and not cold,, they will tend to be quieter.. less restless..
dark is good too.
I would also keep them hidden.. you never know when crossing over the borders/state lines.. may cause an issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.