late bloomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Carl doesn't seem to be growing all too much to me. At first I was worried, then I figured I was just too used to seeing sulcatas. But then people post pictures of their Hermann's yearlings and he's so far behind them!!!

Carl is almost 8 months old, I have had him for almost 6 months, and he has barely grown a centimeter lengthwise since I first measured him at the very beginning of August. My last measure had him at about 6.4ish centimeters

That just seems so itty bitty to me, for a little guy that is well past a half a year old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Heat along with the food seems to have a bunch to do with growing. Is your tortoise's habitat warm enough?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I honestly don't know what size a tortoise that age should be, but Emrys is three and is just over 4.5 inches. Carl being 2.5 inches sounds right to me, unless Emrys is equally tiny!

Pictures always make tortoises look bigger than they are, though, I find. Particularly in enclosure pictures. Emrys always looks pretty small in his enclosure, until I take a picture and it looks like he's got really limited space!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
cherylim said:
I honestly don't know what size a tortoise that age should be, but Emrys is three and is just over 4.5 inches. Carl being 2.5 inches sounds right to me, unless Emrys is equally tiny!

Pictures always make tortoises look bigger than they are, though, I find. Particularly in enclosure pictures. Emrys always looks pretty small in his enclosure, until I take a picture and it looks like he's got really limited space!

Wow, Emrys is a lot smaller than I imagined him to be!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
CourtneyAndCarl said:
cherylim said:

Wow, Emrys is a lot smaller than I imagined him to be!

:) See? The power of pictures.

I get right up close. That boy has no personal space. Cameras pushed into his face regularly...

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Walter is 6 now and only just hit 4 inches, Carl doesn't seem to tiny to me!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Some torts are just small :) all torts grow at different rates and yours may just plainly put, small:)

Status
Not open for further replies.