Lazy Tortoise; but very healthy....

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa

eric joranson New Member
I have a very healthy 8 month old Sulcata. But I worry that hes not getting enough exercise. He/She comes out every morning at same time.has a bite to eat; a drink and a short walk to basking area Sleeps for a few hours; has another bite to eat; and returns to basking area and sleeps some more. Moves back into his hide at same time every night. I move feeding areas around to encourage foraging behavior; and I move decorative rocks around to change the area at least once a day. The hide always remains in the same place. This is same inside or outside; which are matching in their set up. He has been to vet; and has been judge to have healthy body weight. But I still worry about muscle development from such a lazy shelled friend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
stop moving his rocks around tortoises are very sight orientated and moving his rocks around he thinks something's up he might be in a new territory stop moving the Rocks around different feeding stations is fine, don't move the Rocks please

yillt

eric joranson New Member
I have a very healthy 8 month old Sulcata. But I worry that hes not getting enough exercise. He/She comes out every morning at same time.has a bite to eat; a drink and a short walk to basking area Sleeps for a few hours; has another bite to eat; and returns to basking area and sleeps some more. Moves back into his hide at same time every night. I move feeding areas around to encourage foraging behavior; and I move decorative rocks around to change the area at least once a day. The hide always remains in the same place. This is same inside or outside; which are matching in their set up. He has been to vet; and has been judge to have healthy body weight. But I still worry about muscle development from such a lazy shelled friend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tortoises are cold blooded, they bask. That's it. Lazy is in their nature. If you're really concerned, check the temps as they may be to cold which can cause lethargic and lazy behaviour. But if he is eating and moving a little, he's not I'll, just a typical tortoise.

Bee62

Germany
Hello Eric,

can you show us pictures of your lazy tortoise and the enclosure ? It also will be interesting how much your tort weighs.
It`s already said that tortoises don`t like changes in their enclosure. Torts are careful. To feel safe, they need to know their surroundings well. If it`s changing every day, they are confused and shy.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
thanks for info.....I will keep enclosures constant; no more rock changes. But even with changes this tort is anything but shy. Follows me around while outside like a lost puppy; stopping occasionally to graze. Will take food from my hand when presented that way. I could not be happier with the way we interact and want to do nothing to change that. I do not have the proper scale yet to keep track of weight; but replacement scale has been ordered. Size wise it has almost doubled since Oct. Shell has hardened up very firmly; with no pyramiding. Walks upright with no shell dragging. Checked my photo files and see I have lots of pics of him; but no shots of him in enclosure, Will try and do that asap and share it here for comments and criticisms.

Bee62

Germany
Glad to hear that your tortoise is not shy.
I am looking forward to your pics.
Mayby your sorrows are really unnessecary and your tort is satisfied and lazy.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
my baby does not move much either but does come out to eat i until i put him outside while i was out there to watch him he walked all over the place stopped to eat first time i saw him move at all i have had aquatic turtles for about 20 years now and i found out they are way different

Bee62

Germany
Hello @kalei01

Tortoises are in many points different to turtles.
If you want that we help you, we need much more informations about your tortoise.
Is it a sulcata ? Please upload some pictures of him.
We also need some informations about the enclosure of your tort. How big it is ?
Which temps, which humidity day and night, which soil ?

For the first help: If your baby don`t move, check the temps. They should be 96 - 100 F under the basking spot and 89 in the "colder" side of the enclosure.
Your baby can not eat and digest if it is kept too cold.
And the night temps should never drop under 78 F.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Hello @kalei01
night time Temps are about 70-75 and days 88-90 not sure on humidity or temp under the basking lamp I have two lamps one for uva and one for uvb
Tortoises are in many points different to turtles.
If you want that we help you, we need much more informations about your tortoise.
Is it a sulcata ? Please upload some pictures of him.
We also need some informations about the enclosure of your tort. How big it is ?
Which temps, which humidity day and night, which soil ?

For the first help: If your baby don`t move, check the temps. They should be 96 - 100 F under the basking spot and 89 in the "colder" side of the enclosure.
Your baby can not eat and digest if it is kept too cold.
And the night temps should never drop under 78 F.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
he is a sulcata he walked around a lot yesterday when took him outside it was 90

Attachments

• 20170131_195246.jpg
    20170131_195246.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13