LED lighting strips??

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all

Thinking about getting “6000k LED light strips” on Amazon just to brighten up the tortoise enclosure I have. Would these be recommended by you guys? Link attached

Onforu 15M Dimmable Strip Lights, 6000K Daylight White Tape Lights, Ultra-Long Ribbon Lights, Lighting Strips with 12V Safe Power Supply for Bedroom, Kitchen, Under Cabinet, Party Decor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0836FG43P/?tag=

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know that brand or that type or how to hook them up, but yes, adding some LED lighting to make it brighter is a great idea for most tortoises.

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't know that brand or that type or how to hook them up, but yes, adding some LED lighting to make it brighter is a great idea for most tortoises.
Thanks Tom! I know 5000k have been recommend before, I wasn’t sure if 6000k would be too bright 😊

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks Tom! I know 5000k have been recommend before, I wasn’t sure if 6000k would be too bright 😊
The "k" does not denote brightness, but color. The 6000k are more to the blue end of the spectrum than the 5000k. Both can be just as bright. THe lumens denote brightness. These you linked are a total of 150 lumens - so actually not that bright of a light for an enclosure but certainly will help. (I use 4 1050 lumen lights in a 4x3 enclosure.) The CRI (color rendering index) is more important. Especially with LEDs. Cheaper LEDs don't have a good color balance and too many of the wavelengths of light are missing for a good tortoise light. These strips you have linked have a CRI of >80. I would rate that as OK but not good. I use LEDs that have a CRI >90. That would be hard to find in a strip LED, though.

I do like the 5000k lights because the UVB lights we use tend to have a color of 7500k or so. so the 5000k will better balance the overall look of the lighting for you and the tortoise. The basking with and incandescent is normally in the 2500k range so that also adds a lot to the other end of the spectrum - more to the reds. So overall you get a good lighting combination.