Leo passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Here we go again. I am soooo upset. I drove an hour to this herp vet. I thought she was dead when we first arrived at the vet. She was lifeless. It was horrible. I had to wait an hour to be seen. I was in tears and had both my kids with me and I hate them to see me upset. Finally did an Xray and showed 6 eggs. The vet then gave her fluids and an injection of Oxytocin. It didn't work. I had her soaking in the bath tub about an hour ago to help her lay but she died in the bathtub. This is the saddest thing and I just lost my other female Leo to the same thing a month ago. I am so angry that this keeps happening. I can't keep going through this. It is too upsetting :(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It was just the eggs, no bladder stone?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Again, I am so, so sorry:( Wish someone could have an answer for you. It wouldn't help them, but maybe you. It is so sad this has happened to you, not only once but twice. Again, so sorry:(. Very, very sad:(

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Thank You. God this sux! No bladder stone. When she laid the 4 eggs two weeks ago, she wasn't done. She still had 6 fully developed eggs inside and could't or would't lay them. Then the back legs started to drag, she became sluggish, stopped eating etc.... So I had hopes that the Oxytocin would do the trick but she was too far gone. I hate this.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My goodness you have my deepest condolences. I cant imagine what you are going through right now. I wonder what the heck is wrong with them? Something in the air? food? This is something that is just weird .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sorry for your pain and frustration...

I wonder if it is a male that comes from a larger line than what the females could support? What size/age was your lady tort? This is just saddening.....again I am so sorry...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh no, not again. You poor thing. I am so sorry for you. (((HUGS)))

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
She was 12 in nice big and heavy. My male is only 10 in. Thanks everybody. I did go in and retrieve the eggs (all 6) Hope I get one of her babies to hatch. I will keep it forever:(

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Very saddening... esp. with the loss of two leopards. I'm wish you success with the eggs.. if they hatch, at least part of the mother would carry on. :(

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
How upsetting I'm so sorry of you and your kids. :( Good lucks with the eggs.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I hope that you completely understand that when we ask questions, it is totally only in an attempt to try and help to perhaps come up with info to hopefully help in trying to understand what happened and I hope that you do not feel we are not being sensitive to your loss, we really really are.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have some questions and you might consider them harsh but I am a little confused,did you lose 2 leopards? or one? How long was the wait before any vet visits?, I will of course have some more when you answer these.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I lost 2 Leopards. The one I lost last month was sudden (it was when it was really hot around here and I think dehydration and gravid had a play) I also had trouble with a Sulcata and a Yellowfoot due to the heat. This time my Leopard laid 2 weeks ago. Totally fine, dug a hole, dropped 4 and covered them up. Went on about her business. She was eating, getting calcium supplements etc. The temps outside were perfect. Anyway, just last Friday I noticed her dragging her back legs which indicated to me she might be egg bound. I brought her inside to observe. (She just had eaten that Thursday) She was pooping and drinking. She was alert, eyes clear, nose clear, lungs clear, overall healthy animal (besides the discomfort she looked to be having) Did not want food Friday or Saturday. I soaked her over and over hoping that would help for the weekend. Sunday she was really bad. Lethargic could hardly move anymore. Got her into the vet Monday am. I thought she was dead when I got there. She went down hard and fast. So again, both females went down fast. I found that she had a premature egg (the yellow yolk) that had ruptured inside her that I'm guessing that acts like a poison. She was extremely bloated in her stomach and intestines. She had 6 eggs that had not passed with the other 4. She was in a lot of discomfort. Even though I am sad that I don't get to hang out with her I am glad that it's over and she isn't in pain anymore.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I am sending you healing thoughts and hugs. I can't imagine the pain. I am so sorry this happened. May yo find comfort and peace my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.