Leopard is almost 3 years old and now won't eat. Just runs around...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I haven't been here for a while, but my leopard will be 3 years hatached August. Always been a fast grower, and the shell is almost 10" long already.

Ever since the weather's gotten warmer, it won't eat. It's very active and just wants to walk and walk. I have a large tortoise table inside for the winter where it's been eating regularly. When I take it outside it still won't eat. Just walks and walks.

I'm not sure what's going on. It will drink whenever I soak. But other than running around it won't do anything else.

Any ideas?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Perhaps hormones are kicking in? I wouldn't worry too much as long as he's still being active and drinking. Try some of his favorite foods.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
It usually loves mazuri. I'll see a couple bites out of it (or maybe footprints), then it's on the move. Always loved spring mix and dandelion. Doesn't touch that either. Tried different types of greens.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My thoughts: maybe he's not comfortable/secure in the outdoor pen.

What does the space look like? Is it heavily planted, lots of coverings to hide under? I'd hope so.

If it's a barren patch of dirt or grass, the tort could feel too exposed in this new territory and is more concerned with finding shelter than it is with eating.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I too would be curious what the area is like. Is there adequate hiding space for him? Pacing typically indicates a stress level and or "escape flight" activity. I'd imagine though you'd provide numerous fantastic shaded hides for him though.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My male leopard gets into moods. Can you post pics of your enclosure. Maybe we can reccommened some options.
He is a big boy. My guy is not yet 7 years and about 10 inches. He didn't get a good start though.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
There are a couple covered hiding places. I'll try to get a pic of it later.

This began before he even went out this year for the warmer weather. The activity level spiked indoors when it just started getting warm (maybe in the 60s or so outside, although the inside temp didn't change). I guess they can sense the seasons. Just gradually eating less and less, until I never see him eat at all. Again when it was cold outside he would finish off all the food daily.

Maybe I can revamp a few things and see if it changes. I'd assume if it was an illness there wouldn't be as much activity.