Leopard pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Here are some better pics.. I know most stated Babcocki..But now that I have them in front of me..They seem to fit the description of Paradis (sp?)..

Skin color, Shape is more long than round, wider in the rear..

Here are some better pics..

image-3143461768.png

image-1360406263.png

image-67853187.png

image-4245865331.png

image-1240451995.png

image-3200151851.png

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Jeff or anyone for that matter..can you explain to me how you came up with that conclusion....

There is hardly anything on the Internet..The only info I found was on this site.. And it stated..Babcocki is rounder, Paradis is long., babcocki has blonde skin color, Paradis has grey skin color, another site says babcocki is symmetrical . Paradis is wider in the rear..

So hopefully you can see my confusion...

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
I am by no means an authority on differentiating between the two, but the patterns of black on the babcocki always seem to be more blotches, if you look at pictured of known pardalis pardalis adults, most of the black is spots, and not blotches.

Take a look at the two adults on the facebook page of BenA(a member here).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chubs-Leopards/206914369352239

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
I am by no means an authority on differentiating between the two, but the patterns of black on the babcocki always seem to be more blotches, if you look at pictured of known pardalis pardalis adults, most of the black is spots, and not blotches.

Take a look at the two adults on the facebook page of BenA(a member here).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chubs-Leopards/206914369352239

Thanks Jeff..Didn't know about the patterns... Does it make difference that these are sub adults??

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I'm here Hector! I don't think it matters that they are only sub-adults. As soon as the black growth begins to come in, you can pretty much see whether it will be spotty or blotchy.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I am still learning to tell the difference myself so i am no help there... but they look like two robust dudes! I love all the black on the darker one. what did you name them?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Melly-n-shorty said:
I am still learning to tell the difference myself so i am no help there... but they look like two robust dudes! I love all the black on the darker one. what did you name them?

I haven't named them...I refer to them as the darker or lighter leopard:D..

jeffbens0n said:
I'm here Hector! I don't think it matters that they are only sub-adults. As soon as the black growth begins to come in, you can pretty much see whether it will be spotty or blotchy.

Thanks Jeff..

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone...Babcocki it is...

Wonder if some of the resident experts on Leopards could get together and put up a sticky....on identifying the different subspecies...I looked on the Internet and all I found was misinformation....It would be a usefull tool to some....Me especially :D

Just a thought...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tony the tank said:
Wonder if some of the resident experts on Leopards could get together and put up a sticky....on identifying the different subspecies...I looked on the Internet and all I found was misinformation....It would be a usefull tool to some....Me especially :D

I tried doing this here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-G-p-pardalis-and-G-p-babcocki#axzz1gzcHtcY4

The problem is there are so many similarities between the two which creates a good amount of "exceptions" in the world. Honestly, the best way to distinguish between the two is to purchase hatchlings from people who know where the breeder obtained their adults from.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah, I was just about to say that Neal has a good thread on this subject on the forum.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Either way, they are beautiful! They look bigger than they did in the Craigslist ad. I'm happy to see them go to a TFO member :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
They look pretty big! Do you have any weights or measurements on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.