Leopard Tortoise Adult Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile Throne

5 Year Member
I noticed that on most classifieds ads that I see there is a significant gap in the price between baby leopard tortoises and adult leopard tortoises. Generally I have noticed that adults will even sell for over 1000 dollars. What causes this huge price gap? I know that with bearded dragons (I breed them) adults hold more value than babies but generally not by so much. Thanks for any answers in advance!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I believe its because of "time and size". It has taken a long time to get to those sizes.

IMO I'd rather pay a hundred bucks for a hatchling to raise it smooth than pay $1 for the average pyramided large leopard you see listed.
I would pay a great price for a larger smooth leopard.

What's really neat is that raising them humid has a by product of fast growth. :D So I don't have to wait too long for them to be bigger

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Heather hit the nail on the head. Tortoises grow so slowly, and it is time/energy consuming for the keeper to raise them up to adult size. While there has been practically no effort at all to get a baby and sell it.

Reptile Throne

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses guys! I have an 8 year old leopard tortoise that raised from a hatchling so I completely agree. I was just curious because I'm thinking about starting another breeding project. Thanks again!

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Whoa! Mine grows like a little weed! I swear he grows every day! Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.