AHough

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Town
Hi! I am new here, taking care of two Leopard Tortoises. Not too sure how old they are; one is 148g and the smaller one is 109g. Picking up between 5 and 7g a month. I am reasonably educated in their care. They are healthy and seem content in my garden. However l noticed one eating a flower that fell to the ground and I tried to find out if they are ok for Leopards or not. Here is what I found on the flower: (I am from Cape Town, South Africa).

See fotos attached. "Dietes grandiflora, the large wild iris, African iris or fairy iris, is a rhizomatous perennial plant of the family Iridaceae with long, rigid, sword-like green leaves."

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127_184919.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127_184919.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20211127_184836.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127_184836.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211127_093650.jpg
    IMG_20211127_093650.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211127_093706.jpg
    IMG_20211127_093706.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's what my friend Google says about it: Iris spp. Burning sensation in mouth. The flowers are mildly toxic as compared to their highly poisonous root bulbs.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Welkom! I'm also from SA, The Toroise Table is a good place to look up plants
If you have any questions just ask, be careful, I've seen some... sub-par car info around SA about leopards, so if you have any questions just ask
If you want to read some material here
Our leopard tort expert is @Tom , he'd love to help
(The specific leopard torts you have seem to be S paradalis paradalis, do you keep the buggers together? (They are so cute!))

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I am new here, taking care of two Leopard Tortoises. Not too sure how old they are; one is 148g and the smaller one is 109g. Picking up between 5 and 7g a month. I am reasonably educated in their care. They are healthy and seem content in my garden. However l noticed one eating a flower that fell to the ground and I tried to find out if they are ok for Leopards or not. Here is what I found on the flower: (I am from Cape Town, South Africa).

See fotos attached. "Dietes grandiflora, the large wild iris, African iris or fairy iris, is a rhizomatous perennial plant of the family Iridaceae with long, rigid, sword-like green leaves."

Thank you!
Hello and welcome. Other posters gave you great info. More questions are welcome. :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

The only rhizome/bulb plant injuries I've ever seen posted here came from tortoises eating the bulb itself and even those are barely reported. I wouldn't worry about a flower—my Russian treats them like crack—but if the plants themselves are growing someplace your tortoises can get at regularly you might not want to keep them. You'd have to dig up every bit of them and keep an eye out another year or two; they grow out of bits of rhizome very easily.