Leopard tortoise - growths

Regis

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
DSCN2994.JPG DSCN2995.JPG DSCN2996.JPG DSCN2997.JPG Hello!
I have a problem with my tortoise.
I have it for a year and of the month it is staying under the care of my mother. During that time I saw a big, light growth on it's shell. During that week this growth is become bigger and I think it is pyramiding.

I have not seen something like this before, but tortoise was grow without this.
I left it with the same conditions (I mean humidity, temperature etc.). I also left the guidelines about the diet and conditions but I am not sure that they are correct.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for my English :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Regis:

The white band that your red arrows are pointing to just show you that your mum has taken very good care of the tortoise for you. That is new growth.

However, the slight bumpiness that you see is what pyramiding looks like. So yes, there is a bit of pyramiding going on. Try adding a bit more humidity to the tortoise's life.

Regis

Poland
Thanks for quick answer.
Humidity: about 70 %
Diet: It gets a grass, dandelion, nettle (as basic food) and sometimes different additives like aloe vera etc. But now I have no assurance, that the diet is strictly correct because as I wrote it is not under my care. I also have the second leopard (smaller one) and it looks fine, without that kind of growth. I have my tortoises for a year (this one on a photos has about 3 years old) and I never saw something like this before (but they of course grow).