Leopard tortoises wont eat today

richybear

5 Year Member
Hi I have 2 leopard tortoises audrey 4 years old and Seymour nearly 3 . Neither of them will eat today . I put their favourite food down but they both keep ignoring it . Audrey is normally a great eater . The temp is 95 under basking lamp and 80 in cool area . Should I be worried or is it cause the weather in uk has suddenly got cold

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

richybear

5 Year Member
Can someone give me some advice or is it normal for them to go off their food once in a while

erica anne

5 Year Member
The fact that neither one of them will eat indicates that it may be the weather change. It seems that a lot of people have tortoises that aren't to interested in meals right now. If it persists it may be worth looking into further. One or two days isn't too big of a deal...

richybear

5 Year Member
Thanks for replying my girl had something small to eat but Seymour still hasnt

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I am way over the pond and beyond, in California, but in reading posts the last several days, mostly the desert tortoise people, the weather has really affected people's tortoises over here. I suspect it is a shift in weather. It has been nutty this year, every where, it seems. Are they okay otherwise? No runny noses, no sunken eyes? Perhaps a slight boost to 85-88 and some warm water soaks, maybe with baby food (carrot or squash) would be helpful. Can't hurt. : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All I can say is it seems to be normal. My leopard doesn't eat as much and doesn't want to go outside as much either. I'm in Chicago, Illinois. Our nights dip to the 50's. Our days have been fairly nice the last few, into 70's. After Saturday, we will not have 70' for awhile or not at all until spring. I wouldn't worry unless the don't eat for a few days in a row or if they start acting like something is wrong.

richybear

5 Year Member
Thanks all for your replies seymour and audrey are both eating now . Seymour is having little bits off food on and off audrey is back to eating loads . She is still 3kgs so lost no weight

dar64

5 Year Member
I'm in Arizona and my sulcata is eating but my leopard tortoise isn't eating much at all. He is around 8 years old. I know the weather is getting cooler. Is this normal ? Is it ok if he continues this way through the winter months ? I want him to put some weight on.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I believe in the wild during the cooler season, their habits start slowing down. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. He shouldn't have to though. Does he have a warm shelter he can retreat to?
dar64 said:
I'm in Arizona and my sulcata is eating but my leopard tortoise isn't eating much at all. He is around 8 years old. I know the weather is getting cooler. Is this normal ? Is it ok if he continues this way through the winter months ? I want him to put some weight on.

dar64

5 Year Member
Yes its heated, He has his igloo thats heated with ceramic heater. I close it up at night. I was bringing him in at night and thats when he really stopped eating. I think it stressed him out. It keeps it warm enough but at night it won't be in the 80's or 90's in there but that should be fine. During the day its been in the high 80's here

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I'd give him sometime. He's probably having a hard time regulating body temperatures because of how cold it's been getting, but that's normal. Give him some time to accumulate to the climate. I'm from Vegas, I've had the same concerns before. Give him a long warm soak too, outside under direct sunlight. How big is he?
dar64 said:
Yes its heated, He has his igloo thats heated with ceramic heater. I close it up at night. I was bringing him in at night and thats when he really stopped eating. I think it stressed him out. It keeps it warm enough but at night it won't be in the 80's or 90's in there but that should be fine. During the day its been in the high 80's here