Lethargic Russian Tort?

flimsybox

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
Tom, my Russian Tortoise has been sleepy... a lot. I hardly see him eat. I even placed a strawberry right in front of him to get him excited about food, and he didn't go for it. I recently rearranged his enclosure so maybe he's stressed about the seemingly new environment? I'm soaking him now, and he's not moving about like he normally does. He did take a drink, though.

I feed him a spring mix, with kale and some romaine lettuce. He hasn't been eating, however. I do not have timothy hay available for him to graze on (yet). I'm thinking that he's getting sick of eating greens all the time. I noticed this morning his water dish was almost dried out, so I refilled it.

Also, for anyone who saw my "White Puffy Eyes?" post, I noticed that my bathroom lights where I soak Tom have coil bulbs in them. Maybe that was what caused the irritation? I'll use the other bathroom light just in case. Anyway, Tom's eyes are looking much better now.

Also something else I'm concerned about is shell rot. I've never seen shell rot before and I'm paranoid that every dent in his shell is a sign of rotting. Here are some pictures of his shell:
tom_s_shell_by_graeskies-d8f1wcb.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Double check his temps and humidity. An adults humidity of 30% is all it needs. Shell rot is not as big a problem with russians, as they shouldn't be kept on wet soil as adults and the humdiity is lower then some others. If temps are good it's probably nothing. My russian stopped eating for a lot of this winter and has just now started to eat a little, but not his normal amount. I would keep a closer eye on him and possibly soak a little more often to be sure he stays hydrated.

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
Double check his temps and humidity. An adults humidity of 30% is all it needs. Shell rot is not as big a problem with russians, as they shouldn't be kept on wet soil as adults and the humdiity is lower then some others. If temps are good it's probably nothing. My russian stopped eating for a lot of this winter and has just now started to eat a little, but not his normal amount. I would keep a closer eye on him and possibly soak a little more often to be sure he stays hydrated.
Okay his humidity was up at 60% before my misting lamp died out. Now it's at 47%. Thank you :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Don't worry about the coil bulbs in your bathroom, they should be absolutely fine.

About 5 years ago a bunch of the coil bulbs sold for reptiles were "recalled" because they were defective and harmful to reptiles. This issue was supposedly fixed, but...some are still on the market, and there are still instances where these bulbs damage our reptiles eyes. Some can even go blind. That's why it's better to be safe than sorry and buy an alternative light/heat source.

So unless you put reptile bulbs in your bathroom, you should be all set!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My russian went through this. I increased temps in her enclosure a bit. I also got her up everyday and soaked her under her uv lights. Then I hand fed her. Your diet will need more variert to it for all over health. Broad leaf weeds are best, they are not big hay eaters. Try finding good weeds in your yard if it is not treated. Here's a good site to I.d
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp