Lets see your vivarium projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey so I just thought in celebration of my tadpole becoming a froglet, I thought Id ask to see everyone elses if anyone else has made one in the past or owns one now. The large one im posting is for my Alanis tinctorious darts. the other small one is just a temporary for my forglet till hes big and strong. I have many others I have built but this is good for now lol. But I want to see yours haha show me!!!!!!! lol

DSC_1695.jpg

DSC_1696.jpg

DSC_1701.jpg

DSC_1688.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
okay. i am posting my pic here instead of my thread. I haven't done tinypics or photobucket. Will have to enlarge pic, sorry:(
You can see my male, upper left side and I think you can even see some crickets on the top screen, hanging on for their lives LOL . I took out the aquarium and added a live plant, back right and some live moss. The water dish is front right. Light is one small clap on LED and the other is a night red bulb. Any advice for improvements, greatly appreciated.
Red Eye Frog July 2012 (2).JPG
Introducing the residents, Marge and Homer. I hate the Simpsons, but they have that kind of mouth and face, so had to do it:p
Tortoise 21 July 2012 032.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
So beautiful!!!! This thread makes me want to start a vivariam, but my husband would kill me if I got any more pets. :rolleyes:

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I like it Wellington. It's a great start and trust me your mind will take over before bed you'll start thinking of new stuff. If you would like live moss zoomed sells something called frog moss itsso awesome. What I would do is put tree fern substrate then frog moss. Then places big tropical plant in the center with small pothos on the bottom maybe a fern plant. Do what pleases you your set up looks great. What are the temps inside. Idont even use a heat lamp with my darts. They do well in cooler temps alot more active yet humidity way up. If you notice in mine my ground level is actually raised so water can be underneath. Always watering the plants and have massive humidity spikes. Plus little pond on te side. But you don't need that at all. Just mentioning my ways haha. But ya live plants forsure. The fern substarte is best for growing anything I love it. Shelly do it anywyas hahahahahaha. My girlfriend always says no then she sees it and I like oh ya that would look good in the living room on a nice stand. I'm thinking ya I Know hahahahh

Actually it doesn't show the raised ground

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks. And yes I am always thinking about what I can redo in it. Like the tort enclsoures. I did get the frog moss and I will be trying to find the tree fern tomorrow. I may have to order it. I have never seen it in any of my stores. How do you clean the water that is on the bottom? I am afraid to put in a false bottom for the reason of stale slimy icky stinky water that I can't get to. I would love to put a water fall. I had one before for my bearded and it just got slimy very quickly and was hard to clean. Didn't last long either. I think I might stick with the bowl. The temp stay at 80-82 but I am still fighting the humidity. All the moss is wet/damp and the plants are sprayed and the majority of the screen top is covered. The red build isn't a heat bulb. Does get a littl hot but isn't a heat bulb.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Try the home depot for the fern that's where I got mine. They stay real small. If you mean substrate fern try petsmart maybe or a reptile store. It's fairly new and is probably the best I have yet to use. Google a pic I don't have the bag anymore but in the small tank in the photos above that what it looks like dry. I have a small filter on te right side covered in rocks it gets the water moving and doesn't smell. Smells like jungle on there lol. It was originally a waterfall but I removed it just left the filter. So far no issues. Oh oh oh good idea to fight humidity. Cover some of the top of te enclosure with glass from lowes measure it up and they will cut it. Doesn't cost much. Leave about 3 inches all the way to the other side of vent. That should spike humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.