Level of difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I have multiple torts and turtles and was looking at adopting a pair of hinge backs. How hardy are they? I have a pair of hermann's, a Greek, pair of western painted, desert box, ornate box and red eared slider. I'm just wondering if there are any challenges with them.

Any advice appreciated.

Ray

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are a moderately difficult species to get established. Once established and if kept in proper environment they are easy. But to a lot of people they are still difficult. It's all mainly about leaving them alone when you get themin the enclosure. If your getting wild caught they will definitely have lots of parasites. They don't like light, they ate very well for me onmushrooms, banana, sweet potatoes, and dandelion and some times grass when mixed up with mazuri and snails. Lots of hiding places is a must. Use plants and hide throughout enclosure and always have clean water. I'd say its worth a try if you want to adventure but just prepare the perfect enclosure and absorb all the perfect knowledge before you go through withit.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, it is really important to first tell us what kind of hingebacks your talking about. The spekii and Bells are quite different in needs from the homes and erosa. As for a rating on how difficult for some of us they are easy for others (including folks with a lot of experience in tortoises) they can be heartbreaking and difficult to even impossible it seems for them. They are not for the faint hearted, those who can't take frustrations, or are not into it for the long term. Some animals never get over their shyness, while others can become great begging machines and outgoing. There seem to be two really main problem areas one being getting them to eat and to eat well. The other and this is more Erosa based, is a sudden unexpected die off after a year or more. :( You also need to be able to provide the humidity levels, especially with Homes and Erosa.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
I recently received two small Erosas and from my experience so far I can tell you that it is an entirely different experience from other species like the ones you have. Right now my two don't move much at all and often I wonder if they are dead. Like Jacqui mentioned they are not eating much and it feels like it is just a disaster waiting to happen. That might change but my opinion at this point is you need to be very patient with these guys, at least the erosas.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.