Life In The Slow Lane

AZTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I've posted a couple of pictures. More to follow. I'm also in AZ. Small world.

I like your avatar. I have 4 baby Arizona Desert Tortoises and they often wind up in that position. Does your tortoise fall on his back? It happens to mine when they try to climb, they fall over backwards. They can right themselves but it still worries me.

sillyfurby

I like your avatar. I have 4 baby Arizona Desert Tortoises and they often wind up in that position. Does your tortoise fall on his back? It happens to mine when they try to climb, they fall over backwards. They can right themselves but it still worries me.
I'm not going to say that he doesn't fall onto his back, because then it'll happen. LOL

sillyfurby

Lucky Chuckles has a 20' x 40' habitat to call his home. The first photo is from Google Earth, and although somewhat fuzzy, still shows the size. The second photo is of the front of the habitat. The fencing is bamboo woven into chain link.
GE Habitat 7-27-14.JPG 088 habitat 7 -14.jpg

AZTorts

Arizona
Yes,

I made the habitat myself. It started out small, but keep adding to it. View attachment 89164 View attachment 89165

That's sooo neat! Your tortoise must love having all that area to roam around in. My tortoise babies, which I've only had for a couple of months, have some serious pyramiding going on. I was told it's because they were kept too dry by the people I got them from. So I've been soaking them more than I was and also misting them with water several times a day. Your tortoise has a nice, smooth shell. Did you soak and mist him when he was a baby? Did you keep him inside until he got to be a few years old?

Flipper

MO, USA
Lol! I love the toilet :p

Your tort is beautiful and your enclosure is fun and huge :)

Keep posting pics! I love them!

sillyfurby

That's sooo neat! Your tortoise must love having all that area to roam around in. My tortoise babies, which I've only had for a couple of months, have some serious pyramiding going on. I was told it's because they were kept too dry by the people I got them from. So I've been soaking them more than I was and also misting them with water several times a day. Your tortoise has a nice, smooth shell. Did you soak and mist him when he was a baby? Did you keep him inside until he got to be a few years old?
Chuckles was never misted, or soaked, when he was a baby. He was put into the habitat to live as nature intended. Instinct tells Chuckles when he should seek a moist place, and when he needs to be dry. The only exception is when I spray water on the compost pile and he is napping there beneath the surface. He'll poke up his head and look at me as if to say, "Who turned on the rain?"

AZTorts

Arizona
So where is Chuckles going? View attachment 89281

I can't get over how nice and smooth his shell is and for never having been soaked or misted, amazing! Maybe that you kept him outside all the time in such a large and diverse area where he could move about as he would in the wild? Arizona Game and Fish agrees with how you're doing it because they say, "in much of Arizona, desert tortoises should be kept outdoors all year." But not all of us can have a huge setup like yours.