Light Bulb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
Hi folks, I will be getting a sulcata in the next few weeks and have a question regarding UVB bulbs. I have heard that the coil bulbs are a big NO, and I should be getting a different type. Is this true? If so, are there any recommended bulbs I should be looking at? The new guy will be set up in my snake room with an ambient temp of 75-80*, and I am trying to figure out what type of bulb will provide the correct heat and UVB rays he/she will need.

Thanks! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The big thing now-a-days is the Mercury Vapor Bulb. I never used them until about a year ago, getting by for many, many years simply using a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb during the day. My tortoises all got some outside time, though, getting their UVB from the sun. I DID notice an increase in activity and appetite once I switched to the MVB. But my tortoises are only in the house during the coldest part of the year.

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The big thing now-a-days is the Mercury Vapor Bulb. I never used them until about a year ago, getting by for many, many years simply using a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb during the day. My tortoises all got some outside time, though, getting their UVB from the sun. I DID notice an increase in activity and appetite once I switched to the MVB. But my tortoises are only in the house during the coldest part of the year.

Thank you!

The plan is to move the new guy outside once they are big enough, but until then they will be inside with outside time on nice days. :)

Deac77

5 Year Member
I've heard mvb are good but nothing compares to the sun

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
Deac77 said:
I've heard mvb are good but nothing compares to the sun

I agree completely, however in Northern IL, there will be some times of the year that I don't think it would be smart to take a juvenile tortoise outside, but I also want to make sure I'm not shorting it on anything it needs. :)

Deac77

5 Year Member
I'm looking for the article but it talks about UVB bulbs and the effect on torts they have been testing bulbs for like 15 years lol

Status
Not open for further replies.