UVB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I have a 6 ft by 3 ft tort table, currently using a 10.0 zoomed uvb coil bulb. I am aware of the so called blindness danger. I have broken in my bulb and my tort seems to be just fine. I ordered a 100w powersun mvb online. My question is, is it possible to have too much uvb. Can I use both of these bulbs in this enclosure. Using the mvb on the basking side and the other on the cool side or should I just get rid of the coil bulb.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Yes, it is possible to have too much UVB and there is talk that the mvb bulb can give off too much even when by itself. I would suggest just getting rid of the coil one all together, since the cool side is supposed to simulate a burrow/shaded area where there wouldn't be much UVB anyways

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I agree, get rid of the coil. When I have Bowser inside, I use the Powersun with him. I use the reptisul 10.0 tube for my bearded dragons.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I raised Livingstone on Zoomed Reptisun MVB's for about 3 years. They are the best way to simulate a basking spot for a tortoise, you can even use two to spread the heat zone out. I sis this when I had him on a 5ft by 10ft table. In my opinion the danger posed by too much UVB from a mercury vapor bulb is off set by all the gains and they are FAR superior to a coil bulb or tube flourescent.

Here's a pic of the set up before he went outside

update52.jpg

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I think MVBs are better for some tortoise species rather than others. I would never use them for forest species, but I have used them for a young sulcata in the past.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would ditch the coil and use the MVB for a sulcata. If he gets regular sunshine, you don't need any artificial UV at all. I just use regular hardware store incandescent flood bulbs for my indoor enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.