UVB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TADitto

5 Year Member
A few days ago I got 2 sulcata hatchlings and have a question about their UVB light. I have been taking them outside for between 15 and 30 minutes each day for some sun and am currently only using a 5.0 UVB in their indoor enclosure. Is this adequate or do I need to get a 10.0 UVB?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
You actually need a UA/B light, they should be getting uv in the region of 8 to 12 hours daily.
A 10.0 is for tropical and desert reptiles, the 5.0 is probably best suited to a sulcata as any higher could damage your torts eyes.

TADitto

5 Year Member
Sorry about the double post didn't realize that my first 5 post were going to be approved by a moderator.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TADitto said:
Sorry about the double post didn't realize that my first 5 post were going to be approved by a moderator.

That's okay, we got the two threads merged together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you using a coil bulb? Those can damage their eyes.

If they are getting 30 minutes of real unfiltered sunshine nearly every day, then you don't NEED any indoor UV. However, it won't hurt anything to use it either.

I also highly recommend getting one more hatchling or separating the two. Pairs are almost always problematic.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The general consensus is that it only takes a couple hours of good sunlight (not filtered through glass, and strong enough to tan skin) a week, spread over several sessions, to provide enough UV for a healthy tortoise (or person for that matter.)

If all we have is artificial light, then it would depend on how strong the bulb is- weaker bulbs need longer exposures. A study on Panther chameleons showed that the lizards reproduced best (more nests, more eggs, and more viable young) when given low-level UVB over the entire habitat all day long. It got much better overall results than using stronger, more focused UVB bulbs, which I thought was interesting.

TADitto

5 Year Member
Thanks all. Great info, I'm leaning towards losing the UVB and getting a MVB. Which ones do you all use, and which ones seem to last the longest and/or best? Tom I would love to get another one cuz they are just so darn cute but I'm not sure my yard nor my wife will beable to handle that. So far I have had no issues.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's the thing. With babies you often won't SEE any issues right away. One or the other of them is the meeker of the two and will suffer for it. It is likely that one will soon begin to outgrow the other even though they are in the same habitat and getting the same care.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
TADitto said:
Thanks all. Great info, I'm leaning towards losing the UVB and getting a MVB. Which ones do you all use, and which ones seem to last the longest and/or best? Tom I would love to get another one cuz they are just so darn cute but I'm not sure my yard nor my wife will beable to handle that. So far I have had no issues.

I have the powersun mvb. It helps to cut down on all the different fixtures. I noticed a marked improvement in my sully's behavior and appetite after the switch. So far, I'm quite happy with it. Next time, I will order one on ebay as opposed to buying it at petco. There's a huge difference in price!!!

TADitto

5 Year Member
Tom by having an odd number of sulcatas do they tend to have less issues? If so why is that the case?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I also use the powers un bulb, they last alot longer and with the correct adapters and fittings they are brilliant, although very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.