UVB Light Question

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Our sulcata lives outside year round in southern Louisiana, unless it dips below 60. Then we bring him inside at night and let him out to graze once the temps go above 60 during the day and the sun is out. We are building a better, more insulated and heated house in the next month so that he can stay in there instead of coming inside at night. Question is, our vet said that we still need a UVB light inside our house for when we bring him in for winter nights. If we still let him out 2-4 days a week to graze, is the UVB light necessary? I need to know this so I know if I should put a UVB light in his new heated house in case he stays in it for days. We don't usually have an extremely cold winter but this last one was crazy (snowed two times) and it will be in the 40s tonight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your vet clearly does not understand reptile biology and how things work with sunlight, calcium and D3.

You do not need UV light in a heated night house for a tortoise that lives outdoors most of the time.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Your vet clearly does not understand reptile biology and how things work with sunlight, calcium and D3.

You do not need UV light in a heated night house for a tortoise that lives outdoors most of the time.

I think she thought we left him inside all the time during the winter. She did tell me that he gets enough Vitamin D from his sun exposure and to avoid calcium with added D3. Instead of sending her the question through email, I thought I could get a faster and knowledgable answer here. I also hadn't told her about the new tortoise house.

Thank you for the quick reply. You confirmed what we thought. We are actually using your house design. I can't wait to get it finished.

Lewisville, Texas
I think she thought we left him inside all the time during the winter. She did tell me that he gets enough Vitamin D from his sun exposure and to avoid calcium with added D3. Instead of sending her the question through email, I thought I could get a faster and knowledgable answer here. I also hadn't told her about the new tortoise house.

Thank you for the quick reply. You confirmed what we thought. We are actually using your house design. I can't wait to get it finished.
is there something wrong with d3?