Light bulb vs humidity

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hi all, so I am currently having this problem where the uva light bulbs are burnt out due to high humidity, twice! Instead of wasting money buying new ones and replacing old ones with them, how can I curb this from happening again?

S

SuIcata

Hi all, so I am currently having this problem where the uva light bulbs are burnt out due to high humidity, twice! Instead of wasting money buying new ones and replacing old ones with them, how can I curb this from happening again?
What kind of bulb? What brand?
I would suggest arcadia t5 tubes...
I use the arcadia 12% t5s with reflector and my humidity is at 93% never had a problem [emoji106]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
That is a spot bulb. It directs the light in one area which can dedicate the torts shell much faster. I would go with the tube fluorescent uvb. They work much better and last longer.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It is usually heat build up an not humidity that is the problem with bulbs burning out. A small, deep dome fixture often overheats a bulb. If you try to cover the bulb in making your enclosure hold humidity better, you will then often overheat a bulb and it will burn out. Use a tube fluorescent as already suggested.

The bulb you have pictured is not a UVB bulb. It does not put out any UVB needed for vit D3 production.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
It is usually heat build up an not humidity that is the problem with bulbs burning out. A small, deep dome fixture often overheats a bulb. If you try to cover the bulb in making your enclosure hold humidity better, you will then often overheat a bulb and it will burn out. Use a tube fluorescent as already suggested.

The bulb you have pictured is not a UVB bulb. It does not put out any UVB needed for vit D3 production.
Well I never said anything about uvb, but uva the entire time...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Well I never said anything about uvb, but uva the entire time...

Using this brand of uva bulb, is this a good one?

You asked if that was a good bulb choice. I thought you were asking for input on the value of this bulb for tortoises.

In considering bulbs, most are looking for balanced full spectrum light. and then something that provides sufficent UVB in the spectrum that can allow vitamin D3 metabolism. This bulb does neither of those. So why do you want a bulb that puts out a minimal amount of UVA and mostly near IR, and configured to concentrate that in a smaller spot?