lighting for a russian tortoise

mpr2101

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello, All:
I have a tortoise lighting question that I believe hasn't been addressed on previous threads (apologies if I missed it).

the question: do tortoises need diffuse light for indoor lighting? That is, does it hurt their eyes to have bright bulbs over their tanks?

The practical source of this question: we're building a new, larger indoor enclosure for our Russian tortoise this weekend, and want to light it correctly. We've got a UV tube which, of course, emits light; and a ceramic emitter for heat, but the enclosure will need more light. I was going to simply use a few of those utility clamp lamps (the ones with the simple, metal shade) hung above the enclosure and equipped with regular household "energy saver" bulbs. I worry, though, that the exposed sources of light will beat down upon her like the rays of a thousand suns, and will thus be unpleasant. Should I be doing something to diffuse the light (e.g. with frosted glass or something like that)? Or, as a desert species, do Russian tortoises not mind bright light? Any other considerations I should be thinking of?

Subsidiary question: is there such thing as too much UV? Should I be limiting her exposure?

Thanks for any and all input!