Lighting for Russian Tortoise

Linkie

Hello everyone!

I've recently built an indoor enclosure (122cm x 80cm orr about 4' x 3') for my russian tortoise as its too cold for him to stay outside during the winter months.

I decided to go for a UV Tube + basking light but I needed recommendations on what to buy. Is the Arcadia T5 D3+ good for UV light 12h a day? And how big should the tube be? should it cover the whole table?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Location (City and/or State)
Southeast USA
I would recommend a ReptiSun! It's a bit pricey, but some provide UVA and UVB! The UVA also produces heat, but I'm not sure if it's also for basking..

jessicaf

ADK NY
That's what I use. I'm on here looking to see if I should change. How did you make out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The is a good bulb for UVB. To keep a Russian from wanting to hibernate, it needs lots of light for about 12 hours, so getting a bulb that covers most of the length of enclosure would help with that. You will also need a heat bulb too, as the florescent don't give off heat. If your house doesn't get colder then 60 degrees Fahrenheit then you won't need night heat.

jessicaf

ADK NY
My tortoise spends a lot of time wandering around our living room. We have a section blocked off and he just wanders. He seems to like to crawl on the vacuum lately, lol.