Suggested lighting options for new enclosure

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I am in the process of making new indoor enclosures, one for a box turtle and one for a Russian tortoise. The enclosures are plastic/rubber stock tanks, each 54" x 36" and 20 inches tall. What sort of lighting would be recommended for this size and type of enclosure? MVB or tube? High output? I know that each one requires different lighting, the box turtle prefers less light then the Russian for example. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have two tubes in my russians tank, one on each end on my 6x3 enclosure. I also have a uv spotlight in the middle for basking. Not sure about boxies care but hope you get your answer soon.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have two tubes in my russians tank, one on each end on my 6x3 enclosure. I also have a uv spotlight in the middle for basking. Not sure about boxies care but hope you get your answer soon.
Thank you for responding. Are the tubes the high output? Are they 5.0 or 10.0? I've done a lot of reading on that but after a while it all merges together :) also is it true that the tube UVB can't go on a timer? What about the MVB's? I know I will not use a CHE so it will either be in MVB or a basking light or lightbulb for heat.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Uvb can go on a timer just not a thermostat. I have all of mine on a timer. Btw: if you get a timer buy it at a home improvement store not a pet store, its much cheaper. My tubes are not high output, they are really there for light not uv for me. The uvb basking light is what I use to make sure she's getting what she needs in the winter & she gets a good amount of sun outside when its nice. I am a big fan of the powersun mvb bulbs for baskin. with my two I have a solar raptor system which is pretty pricey but worth it. They provide light but little heat so it works good for a russian. And with my sulcata who needs warmer I have the raptor, a powersun, and a che.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That would definitely be a toasty tortoise :) what is the raptor system? I don't mind spending money for quality but I don't have endless resources either. My turtle and tortoise get live outdoors in the summer and a little in the spring in the fall but they will be indoors pretty much all winter.

mikeh

5 Year Member
For box turtle use zoomed 46" T8 10.0 at 12-15" distance from the shell.

For Russian 46" T5 High Output 5.0 at 15" distance, or 10.0 at 20" distance. Additional basking source will be needed. High output tubes should be burned in for about 100 hours before placing it above the animal.

MVB is an alternative. Megaray or Arcadia is a better brand. Burn in as well.

Uvb tube fixtures can be used with mechanical timers. Avoid electronic timers as they leak ac current in the off position and may damage the ballast.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you for the information. I have been told I can get fixed years for these bulbs at Home Depot cheaper than a pet store? Is there a specific brand or kind that people would recommend, I would not exactly know what to ask the guy at Home Depot.

mikeh

5 Year Member
No Home Depot forT5HO fixtures. Zoomed fixture is ok or plant grow fixture with reflector from hydroponics suppliers. 1000bulbs.com or hydrofarm and such. Those are better quality with metal housing then nonbrand plastic housing fixtures found at pet stores.

For Mvb ceramic base large dome fixture from HD is fine.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No Home Depot forT5HO fixtures. Zoomed fixture is ok or plant grow fixture with reflector from hydroponics suppliers. 1000bulbs.com or hydrofarm and such. Those are better quality with metal housing.

For Mvb ceramic base large dome fixture from HD is fine.
Okay, thank you. Is it T5 HO recommended for a Russian, I know probably not for the box turtle right? I did think about getting an HO because that would give more light to the large enclosure, maybe this will help them be more active. But I'm not sure box turtles like that much light? I'm sorry for all the stupid questions at the starts to get confusing. I do have fixtures for an MVB but not for tube lights.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes, T8 more appropriate for box turtle as it puts out less light preferred by box turtles and forest species, T5HO for Russian as it puts out brighter light, better for day time psychological stimuli for arid species.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I read somewhere on this forum, I can't figure out where, that it is possible to buy the UV tube lights and the fixtures together as a unit. But I can't seem to find the combination anywhere, does anybody know where I can find them together?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
One more question and I'm ready to put in my order :) I can't seem to find a fixture for the 48 inch T8 10.0 bulb. Why would a company make the bulb but not the fixture? I have found the 48 inch T5HO fixture but I am assuming the T8 bulbs will not fit. So I guess Home Depot is where I will find the fixture? I really would like to try to stick with the 48 inch lights because then I would only need one UV light and one heat light each enclosure.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Pet mountain had T5HO fixture/bulb combo while back.

Look in aquatics for 48" T8 fixture/hood. You want fixture with reflector. HD may not carry reflective fixtures.

T8 tube does not fit T5HO fixture.
(T5HO tube requires matching T5HO fixture NOT standard T5 fixture)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Pet mountain had T5HO fixture/bulb combo while back.

Look in aquatics for 48" T8 fixture/hood. You want fixture with reflector. HD may not carry reflective fixtures.

T8 tube does not fit T5HO fixture.
(T5HO tube requires matching T5HO fixture NOT standard T5 fixture)
Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure I could use the aquatics hood. And I wondered about reflectors also so you answer that question for me too :) i'm going to get a T8 10.0 bulb for my box turtle and a T5 HO 10.0 bulb for my Russian. The sides of the stock tank or 20 inches tall so I will need the stronger tubes thank you everybody for all your helpful information. I will post a picture when it's all done. according to the zoo med website. I will use regular lightbulbs or maybe spotlights for heat. I have a temperature gun and a UV index reader so I'll be able to make sure everything is right.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure I could use the aquatics hood. And I wondered about reflectors also so you answer that question for me too :) i'm going to get a T8 10.0 bulb for my box turtle and a T5 HO 10.0 bulb for my Russian. The sides of the stock tank or 20 inches tall so I will need the stronger tubes thank you everybody for all your helpful information. I will post a picture when it's all done. according to the zoo med website. I will use regular lightbulbs or maybe spotlights for heat. I have a temperature gun and a UV index reader so I'll be able to make sure everything is right.
Take into account the height of substrate. You don't want T5HO 10.0 any lover then 18" from the animal. 5.0 for lower distance.
Don't forget about the burn in period with T5HO.

Ps: With aquatics hood, remove the glass cover.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Take into account the height of substrate. You don't want T5HO 10.0 any lover then 18" from the animal. 5.0 for lower distance.
Don't forget about the burn in period with T5HO.

Ps: With aquatics hood, remove the glass cover.
Sorry I had a typo there :) I will get the T5 H0 5.0 for my Russian. I have it written down so I won't mess up the order I hope. I won't forget the burn in time probably for both bulbs and I will remove the glass. Thank you.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
For box turtle use zoomed 46" T8 10.0 at 12-15" distance from the shell.

For Russian 46" T5 High Output 5.0 at 15" distance, or 10.0 at 20" distance. Additional basking source will be needed. High output tubes should be burned in for about 100 hours before placing it above the animal.

MVB is an alternative. Megaray or Arcadia is a better brand. Burn in as well.

Uvb tube fixtures can be used with mechanical timers. Avoid electronic timers as they leak ac current in the off position and may damage the ballast.
I have a high output t5 10.0 I am getting ready to use, what is this burn in thing you suggest?

mikeh

5 Year Member
To be on the side of caution let the tube be on for about 100 hours before placing it with the animal. New tubes, will put out much higher UVB levels while phosphorus burns in and UV levels stabilize.

mikeh

5 Year Member
To be on the side of caution let the tube be "on" for about 100 hours before placing it with the animal. New tubes, will put out much higher UVB levels while phosphorus burns in and UV levels stabilize.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
To be on the side of caution let the tube be on for about 100 hours before placing it with the animal. New tubes, will put out much higher UVB levels while phosphorus burns in and UV levels stabilize.
Ok. Thank you. I had never heard this before and wAs planning on mounting in enclosure and turning on. Glad I stumbled on this thread. Again thanks!