Lighting for my leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcqsusan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can anyone give me advise on lighting my indoor enclosure for my baby Leopard? I currently have a UVA lamp and a red 100w basking light? Is this sufficient?

Also I've read that lamps with timers are available. Can anyone tell me where I can buy these online? Im living in Ireland and unfortunately tortoise products are quite scarce here.

AMBene

10 Year Member!
I'm a newbie too! Did a lot of research. I investied in the Zoomed Powersun 160W (I have a 40" x 20" enclosure for 2 baby leos) mercury vapor uv/heat lamp combined. Then I use a ceramic heater overhead to boost the heat as necessary and keep the warm in a little warmer at night. My temp gradiants are 75 cool end and 90-95 warm in during the day and 70 cool end and 80 warm in at night. I have the Powersun on a timer and leave it on for 14 hours. I just got my leos yesterday and will keep everyone posted as to how they are doing. I am a nervous wreck about them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
The timers I use are just ones I got at WalMart in the hardware section. I would think any store carrying hardware would stock them. They are for use with any electrical item, not just for torts.

As for the light, it's UVB you need. If your able to get him outside into the natural sunlight, he even won't really need the UVB lighting. At the cost of those bulbs, that's a great thing. :D

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jersey C.I.
mcqsusan said:
Can anyone give me advise on lighting my indoor enclosure for my baby Leopard? I currently have a UVA lamp and a red 100w basking light? Is this sufficient?

Also I've read that lamps with timers are available. Can anyone tell me where I can buy these online? Im living in Ireland and unfortunately tortoise products are quite scarce here.

i also keep leopards and have done for the last 12 years ,i have several they range from 1 1/2" hatchlings to an adult female that is 18" scl my 2 hatchlings i keep in a tortoise table that is 16" x 60" with a 100w megaray combi lamp mounted over the centre about 12" above their basking slate ,this gives them 2 cool ends one has a wooden hide and the other a hollow log sometimes they sleep at either end but more often they sleep in the middle of the table next to the slate waiting for their breakfast when the lights go on in the morning
terry
a002Small.jpg

leopardhatchlings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.