Lighting for Red Foot

captain

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hello everyone, right now for my baby red foot he has a heat lamp and a uvb lamp, but i was wondering if it would be better to get that, Zoo Med 100 watt Powersun UVB heat bulbs its a combo thing, and if it would be okay if i used that cuz he's so young so that'd he only have one lamp correct?? Just wondering if this is ok...

Also, what are ceramic heater lamp things and what are the opinions on using those instead of heat lamps??? do they produce more heat or less??

thanks

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Some redfoot owners use the powersun with great success. I use the reptisun fluorescent tube/incandescent/ceramic heater combo. I've read that reds don't particularly like bright lights or basking spots so I decided against the powersun. But again, there are people that use and recommend it for reds.

Ceramic heat emitters (CHE) are great for night heat. Unlike other bulbs that put out heat and light, CHEs put out 100% heat and no light. Mine are on all day as supplemental daytime heat and primary nighttime heat. I highly recommend having any heat sources (CHE and heat ropes) on thermostats.