Lighting? Heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosie4posie

5 Year Member
I am new to tortoises and I would just like to say I have the money to pay for everything but who doesn't want to save some money?

Note: I don't have the tortoise yet I am still working on it's enclosure first.

I know not to even consider skimping on a good UVB light but as far heat/light lamps go they are expensive! Has anyone successfully used a household lightbulb as a heat lamp for basking?

I haven't had luck getting my temperature up to the 90's for the basking spot and the overall temp is still around 60. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough?

My tortoise is coming soon so help would be appreciated!

Thanks

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amarillo Texas
Hello, I think that you can use a regular bulb, but maybe it needs to be a spot lamp type bulb to get the heat concentrated into a basking spot.

I'm a newbie myself, just a suggestion. :)

good luck, Ryan

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How cold is the room?
Where do you live?
What species are you getting and what size/age?

If the tortoise is going to get sunshine year round, then it is fine to use a regular harware store incandescent flood bulb. Adjust the height of the bulb to get the basking temp that you want. To maintain ambient temps, I like to use a ceramic heating element over the middle of the enclosure, or multiple CHEs spread out in very large enclosures, all on a thermostat. If you live in an area with frozen winters, then go online and find a Powersun MVB. You will need it and this will save you the most money.

Definitely glad to hear you are working out the details, before you get the tortoise. It is so nice to simply drop them into an already tried and tested, up and running enclosure.

rosie4posie

5 Year Member
The room is fairly cold now but the summer hasn't really started here. Winters get pretty cold. Not always snow but the room will be very warm from the use of a space heater.
I live in Salem, Oregon.
I am getting a Russian tortoise. About two years old according to the current owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.