Lighting help for Mediterranean spur thigh hatchlings

AshBrown90

5 Year Member
image.jpgHello guys I'm need of some advice. I've currently got a 4 month old Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise called "buddy". I have a wooden Viv about 1m in length and 500cm in width. The only lighting I have for him atm is a desk lamp which holds a 30w spotlight bulb and heats the warmer end of the Viv to about 27 Celsius in the basking spot.

The main question I have is.. Is this lightning enough? The guy I got the tortoise from said he's never used UV lights for any of his tortoises and they've all been fine but upon reading other threads apparently UV lights are essential! I have noticed my tortoise sleeps a lot and he is very inactive unless you let him roam outside the Viv I am becoming increasing worried as I'm getting another hatchling soon and I want them to both be healthy of course.

If UV lightning is recommended what type is the best to use, the only pet shop close to me is pets at home and I can imagine it's better an cheaper to order somewhere online.

Thankyou for reading and I look forward to your suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Go online and search for "Mercury Vapor Bulb for Reptile" This is what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

But don't use that link to order. If you do your own search it will come up with places that you can order from in the UK.

Your baby needs the UVB provided by that light in order for his body to have the vitamin d3 it needs for the calcium to make his bones and shell hard. Without this, or regular sunshine, the calcium won't work inside the body.

Quite a few people are able to get by without using the MVB, but if you study them you will find that their tortoises get regular sunshine occasionally.