Lighting for leopard torts!

jadebone1992

At the moment I am using a exo terra 2.0 30w and a 10.0 30 w in my viv. I don't know why there's 2 but it just came included in the viv. Is this right as I am just going to buy some more as it's been 6 months?! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425835610.180065.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use them. However, you will still need to add 1 or 2 CHE's for heat and a CHE or MVB for a basking area. Btw, Toms threads for raisng leopards are below in my post. The Sulcata threads also apply to leopards.

jadebone1992

They already have a exo terra 150 basking lamp. Had to get a new one today as blew again this morning!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Even with all that lighting, it is still dim in there compared to real sunshine. I don't know where you are, but with Spring around the corner I would continue using the bulbs you have, as long as your tortoise will be getting some real sunshine during the warmer months. Then replace you bulbs with new ones in the fall once your tortoises will have to be inside more for the winter.

The manufacturers want to to constantly buy new bulbs, but my light meters tell me the UV drop off is not as steep as they'd like us to think. In my opinion replacing the bulbs every fall is the way to go, especially if your tortoise will see some real sunshine over the summer.

I would also use two 10.0 bulbs. Even the 10.0 bulbs don't produce very much UV, and at that height, they are even less effective. Having two bulbs running should get a little more UV to your tortoise over winter.

jadebone1992

Thank u tom! They have a new section in the garden for when it gets a bit warmer (in the uk) still quite chilly here! Ok will change to 2 of those. Thank u very much ☺️