Lighting hight?

stripe1425

I have a Russian tortoise and I am trying to figure out the proper hight to put his lighting. Right now it's at 18". Should I lower it?ImageUploadedByTortForum1388457956.412459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The height isn't as important as the temp under it. Get a temp gun and an object the height of the tort. Leave the object directly under the light and measure the temp until it's where you want it.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
Re: RE: Lighting hight?

pfara said:
The height isn't as important as the temp under it. Get a temp gun and an object the height of the tort. Leave the object directly under the light and measure the temp until it's where you want it.

Wow, great idea!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The box the light came is had instructions on it for the positioning of the light. You should not place it lower than the box tells you to. Most of them say about 12" from the substrate. But I like to measure from the tortoise's back rather from the substrate. Just looking at your picture, I would say your light is too high. But you have to get a temp gun or thermometer and measure the temp all over the floor of the habitat. That will tell you if you need to raise or lower the light.

You bought a nice bin for your habitat, however, your tortoise is too big for it. He can easily climb out of that one. And the floor space is not big enough for the size of the tortoise. Russian tortoises are wanderers. When confined to a small space they get bummed out and either sit in a corner staring into space, or scrabble in the corners trying to dig out.