Needing help (deformed beak?)

JavaAndTurts

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
He does have extra scutes on his shell but I think it’s a deformity because the pictures and the ones that other people have the bottom jaw is shorter than top for him the bottom jaw is longer than top

JavaAndTurts

Oklahoma
Can you inspect his skin and legs and see if you notice any yellowish bumps or any missing claws?
Skin and legs are all the same beige color has all his toes does have a few extra scutes on his back and his bottom jaw is longer than the top u wonder if I can get him to survive and grow if we could do some sort of beak trimming to get his beak to some sort of normality

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I am not an expert on the subject but have a keen interest in it. There are many threads on this forum that you can search for for more information. Our most informed member on the subject went by Mastershake, he recently passed away though. @turtlesteve knows much more than myself as well.
Usually you would have seen missing toenails, missing leg scales or yellow bumps first. The mandible issues seem to come later. It does appear that this is an increasingly common problem with sulcatas now with multiple producers in Arizona and Florida selling infected animals. It feels like we have been seeing less people post about it on the forum recently though.

Again, I am not an expert on it. Either way there is something very wrong with that tortoise. IF it is Austwickia it can spread to your gecko. I don't mean to sound insensitive but I would just return the animal if you still can.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
To me it looks either like a deformity or..
You could try a baby nose sucker thing to clear out his nose if there is anything in there that you just can’t see.
(You know the things the hospitals use when a baby is first born?) try that and if he is still looking like he is laboring to breathe then I think it’s a deformity.
Either way, you said you want to keep him so I suggest you read toms info on care sheets and love him love him love him till death do you part!!!
All my good vibes are sent to you my new little friend . Good luck! 🍀
❤️🙏❤️🙏🙏🎈🎈

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
If you want to keep the tortoise, I would still inform the breeder about the struggles that you are having. If the breeder doesn't take this seriously you should definetly post a review on them on the tortoise vendor reviews her on the forum. We obviously don't want anyone selling infected or deformed tortoises to unwilling and uninformed buyers...

You should look into measures to prevent infecting your gecko just in case. I think @Yvonne G has some experience handling deformed tortoises.