Lighting question (replacing an MVB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
I'm using an mvb bulb since August, my question is ,,, should I replace it soon or will it just burn out, I know with my marine bulbs they should be replaced between 10-11 months, just want to make sure my tort gets his uv, thanks in advance,

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
RE: Lighting question

nothing beats good ol fashion natrual sunlight, but most boxes come with a replacement date, or suggestion length of use, do you know the brand and model of the bulb you have?

morloch

5 Year Member

It's freezing here, no natural sunlight for now, I also threw out the box, oops, never used mvb before,does anybody know the lifespan of these bulbs, I was getting different answers at the store

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

I think for most of them, 12 months is the cut off date for adequate UV. In your case, I would continue using it through the whole summer and start using a new one whenever the Fall weather dictates that your tortoise can no longer get sunshine. If your tortoise is getting real sunshine a few times a week, it will not matter if your MVB is producing enough UV. In essence it just becomes a heat lamp for indoors, even though it might still be giving off SOME UV. I have a couple of MVBs that I have been using for years this way. They are still going strong, but I'm sure their UV output has dropped. Since my tortoises are outside frequently all year long, I really don't need the UV aspect anyway.

morloch

5 Year Member

I'm using exoterra brand, I just bought another for backup, unfortunately Morloch can't go out till it warms up here, still snow, so just wanted to make sure he is still getting sufficient amount of uv, in the warm spring and summer he will be outside again, thank you for your quick responses!!!

Ha... Ironic,,, light just went out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.