MVB okay for baby eastern box turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I have a heating/lighting question/problem so I hope it is okay to post in the enclosure threads.

I currently own a yellow foot and the my uvb bulb is a tube one. I will be buying 2 baby eastern. Box turtles and I was going to just buy a MVB and a black heat bulb to leave on 24/7 to keep temps 75 ish 80 at night.

I was told it would be best to use just the black heat bulb and a tube uvb, because I have a bunch of domes laying around I would like to still buy the MVB and use it on either the box turtles or if suggested ill use the MVB on the yellow foot and the tube uvb on the box turtles.

I'm just trying to get my enclosure and temps all set up before I bring the turtles home

I'm open to other lighting suggestions as well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would suggest a flourescent UVB and a CHE for heat. Dark at night, no lite of any kind.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I also had a question about red/ purple bulbs. Are they not okay to use at all? I don't need a night bulb right now because my house is warm enough and I have an under tank heater for night time use, but is there actual harm in using a red/purple bulb? Or is it just more a preference thing? I agree that CHEs are the very best, btw ;)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I prefer t-5 florescent simply because the uvb is too hat for the set up I've got. Both will work fine though.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
How hot do they normally get? Can the be used with a thermostat and still provide the uvb?

Also I was told that the box turtles are so young(hatch date november 2012 sometime) that I should only use about 3" of substrate and no under the tank heater but instead use a black light. My original plan was to do 6"-8" of. Substrate and use an under the tank heater and a uvb bulb.

Does anyone have any web sites with good care sheet/info?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I only use a couple inches of substrate. I like to dig up all of the little ones at least every other day to make sure they drink and eat.Even with two inches, it can be a challenge. Mine spend 90 percent of their time buried.I think the only way to control the heat output with mvb bulb it to move it closer or further away.
Rover15 said:
How hot do they normally get? Can the be used with a thermostat and still provide the uvb?

Also I was told that the box turtles are so young(hatch date november 2012 sometime) that I should only use about 3" of substrate and no under the tank heater but instead use a black light. My original plan was to do 6"-8" of. Substrate and use an under the tank heater and a uvb bulb.

Does anyone have any web sites with good care sheet/info?

Status
Not open for further replies.