Lighting questions, please!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Certainly!! Do you think it will blow? It seems so hot.
No, it wont blow... But it may be too hot for the enclosure itself :) So the temperatures in the enclosure are going to be a lot higher.

margykid

No, it wont blow... But it may be too hot for the enclosure itself :) So the temperatures in the enclosure are going to be a lot higher.
It is surrounded by this white lamp face will that explode? It gets so hot that when I touch it it burns me and also when I turn the light off it is so hot it won't turn back on for a while.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It is surrounded by this white lamp face will that explode? It gets so hot that when I touch it it burns me and also when I turn the light off it is so hot it won't turn back on for a while.
Hmmm, maybe the fixture is too hot? I hope someone else that is more experienced with these things can help. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lola:

You need to get a fixture with a bigger bell. The one you show in the picture sits too close to the bulb and will not dissipate the heat away from the bulb. This will shorten the life of the bulb. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEPJD2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The Mercury Vapor Bulbs have a (I think its called) ballast, and they won't turn back on until they've cooled a bit. This is normal. There's nothing wrong with the bulb.

margykid

Hi Lola:

You need to get a fixture with a bigger bell. The one you show in the picture sits too close to the bulb and will not dissipate the heat away from the bulb. This will shorten the life of the bulb. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEPJD2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The Mercury Vapor Bulbs have a (I think its called) ballast, and they won't turn back on until they've cooled a bit. This is normal. There's nothing wrong with the bulb.
Would the MECURY vapour bulb fit int their. If so I will buy an English version of that.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have not had one blow yet, as long as your fixture is rated for that watt, you will be good