Lily Pads - Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
I have a small goldfish pond out back and the lily pads in it are taking over the pond. I know lily pads are ok for water turtles, I feed them to my Red Eared Sliders, but can a sulcata eat them too? Just curious if they would be something I can add to his dinner once in a while.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
I think I remember reading-- the only lilies a Sulcata Can have are Daylilies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the nutritional content of water lilies, so don't know how they would be to feed on a steady basis, however, I doubt there would be anything wrong with the occasional feeding. I know a guy who has a 80lb sulcata who eats the water lily plants out of the pond every chance he gets. The guy had to finally rig up a barrier between the sulcata and the pond to keep him out of it.

Water turtles regularly eat them. I can't keep them in my pond because the turtles eat them.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Water lilies are fine. One thing we should remember is alot of plants got called lily because of some resemblence to asiatic lilies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I cant seem to keep lily pads in my pond either (because of my aquatic turtles), I would love to take some of the lily pads off your hands. What city are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.