Cactus pads

Jessica886069

Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Oregon
I went to the store to get my little guy some cactus pads and all I found was something the store was calling cactus leaves but they looked like pads. Are they the same things? Also what kind of cactus do they come from? Are there any other kinds of cactus I could feed him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you want is spineless opuntia. Usually called "nopales" and sold in Mexican grocery stores. I've never seen any other kind sold.

I also cut the spines off of organ pipe cactus and feed them that. At my place I have 10 different varieties of opuntia, but I don't know if any other actual cactus is okay to feed out. Lots of succulents are safe to feed out, but you won't find that in a grocery store.`

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
this is what i found in winco.
Yes, ok to feed. Just remember, too much will provide you with a good amount of loose stools! As has been said, you do want to remove any and all thorns on these, "thornless" cactus. Some folks use kitchen knives, I use a potato peeler allowing me to dig the "eye" out.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I find this handy for burning off spines. Butane soldering torch, hold in one hand while holding the pad with a pair of tweezers. Can get from Lowes or cheaper at harbor freight.
63170_zzz_500.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you jam a couple in a pot with the bottoms about 2" into some soil, you can quickly grow your own.
All of my cactus plants are from clippings including some spineless ones.
NOTE: spineless means a lot fewer spines. Not none at all.
I only harvest the new growth and when the spines are still just soft, wobbly protrusions.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
If you jam a couple in a pot with the bottoms about 2" into some soil, you can quickly grow your own.
All of my cactus plants are from clippings including some spineless ones.
NOTE: spineless means a lot fewer spines. Not none at all.
I only harvest the new growth and when the spines are still just soft, wobbly protrusions.

Note depending on location lol I've been trying to do this in southern Oregon for awhile with no success

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Note depending on location lol I've been trying to do this in southern Oregon for awhile with no success

Some pads take off and some just sit there. They don't grow in winter with cooler temps and shorter days. They need it hot and sunny.

Also, the pads need a couple of weeks for the cut area on the bottom to scar over, before planting.

I've had the best results putting 1/3 to 1/2 the pad in dry sandy soil. I don't water for at least one month. Then I water as needed. In summer when the daytime high is 100 degrees, I water twice a week. In winter, I don't water at all.

And a note to all: The tortoises will eat these pads fully spined. We do not need to remove the spines for the benefit of the tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Got it.
They are weeds here.
I posted a thread a while back about trying to kill a stand of cactus with a lawn mower and ended up with a whole yard of it. Every piece that landed on the ground of a certain size started to grow.

Attachments

• 20170211_110103.jpg
    20170211_110103.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14

Jessica886069

Springfield, Oregon
Got it.
They are weeds here.
I posted a thread a while back about trying to kill a stand of cactus with a lawn mower and ended up with a whole yard of it. Every piece that landed on the ground of a certain size started to grow.

Sorry to say but I kinda chuckled when I read that.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Some pads take off and some just sit there. They don't grow in winter with cooler temps and shorter days. They need it hot and sunny.

Also, the pads need a couple of weeks for the cut area on the bottom to scar over, before planting.

I've had the best results putting 1/3 to 1/2 the pad in dry sandy soil. I don't water for at least one month. Then I water as needed. In summer when the daytime high is 100 degrees, I water twice a week. In winter, I don't water at all.

And a note to all: The tortoises will eat these pads fully spined. We do not need to remove the spines for the benefit of the tortoises.

The cut areas are normally long past scarred over when I get them from the store

By 1/3 to 1/2 that means how deep you bury it? or cut it that big and let it scar then plant it

Myakoda

AZ.
I went to the store to get my little guy some cactus pads and all I found was something the store was calling cactus leaves but they looked like pads. Are they the same things? Also what kind of cactus do they come from? Are there any other kinds of cactus I could feed him?
I
The cut areas are normally long past scarred over when I get them from the store

By 1/3 to 1/2 that means how deep you bury it? or cut it that big and let it scar then plant it
I'm so upset right now, My husband bought cactus pads from ebay. He doesn't know from who, where etc.. She's been in an outside enclosure for a few months now, doing great and thriving. He fed her some when I wasn't there, now I'm afreaid she may have issues! Seriously, I looked at the site,very creepy. I hope she doesn't pass away from these from wherever cactus pads!