Lime on shells.

Heather B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My two RF torts have dull dusty shells but I am sure it has to do with the very high concentrate of limestone from our well water. I spray them daily (multiple times) and they only look good when wet. What do you suggest to spruce them up? Does a shell need conditioned? Have some pyramidding on both.

Heather B

5 Year Member
Ohio
So what do you think? I finally figured out how to upload the picture of my Sweet Pea

Heather H

N.E. ohio
@Yvonne G
I have no idea. But someone will help you :) I tagged Yvonne in this. She will give an answer or tag the right person. :)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Do you have a closed chamber enclosure? Just because you mist multiple times a day, doesn't mean it's humid enough in their enclosure. Their substrate needs to be damp (and the substrate you have isn't good at holding humidity). You should buy a good hygrometer to actually measure humidity.
I'm still pretty new to this myself but to me it looks like your enclosure is just way too dry (judging by the super dry looking shell and the pyramiding).
But I'm no expert, this is just my opinion based on what I observe in that photo.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I don't see anything alarming. Unfortunately tortoises kept in artificial conditions normally don't portray that beautiful, rich almost shiny effect that they attain in nature. This is partially attributed to the fact that in nature, tortoises spend much of their day in vegetation. They create scrapes at the base of grasses and bushes, graze in tall vegetation and follow the same paths each day usually. Their shells are constantly in contact with the wax found on many leaves or plants. They are always brushing against all types of plants. This gives them the almost "waxed" or shiny look in the wild. In a well planted outdoor enclosure, we can help to replicate this look. Inside, many times they appear dull or almost dusty. I would continue with the mistings and maybe do it more frequently. When our tortoises go back outside into their naturalistic pens for the summer, they start to look much better as time goes on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had this problem too when I was using tap water. I started collecting rain water and the problem disappeared. I collect the rain water in big tubs and and run it through a micron filter into 5 gallon jugs for storage.

Works like a charm.

Heather B

5 Year Member
Ohio
I had this problem too when I was using tap water. I started collecting rain water and the problem disappeared. I collect the rain water in big tubs and and run it through a micron filter into 5 gallon jugs for storage.

Works like a charm.
Thanks Tom. I will give that a try.

Heather H

N.E. ohio

Works like a charm.
Never thought of that thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use distilled water too, but don't use distilled for drinking or soaking. Just for shell spraying or in a humidifier.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the perfect opportunity to give the cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil a try. Rub it in good, allow it to set for about 5 minutes, then polish it off with an absorbent cotton cloth.