Liquid seaweed for lawn

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi everyone
We have nearly finished the garden and Tabby proofing. We have a new lawn laid ready for her in the spring.

I never use weed and feed on the lawn, but do use just a feed in the winter not in spring.

The man that laid the lawn mentioned liquid seaweed to help the roots and keep the grass strong which is safe for pets as he has some customers with rabbits, but he did say he would do some research to see if it is safe for tortoises.

The tortoise table forum says it us safe to use on plants. Does anyone know if it will be ok to use on the lawn in spring or general thoughts on this? She doesn't eat grass, but I do leave the dandelions if they grow on the lawn.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fertilizers in general are fine to use. The caveat is: Do NOT let the tortoise have direct access to the actual fertilizer product, be it granules, powder or liquid. Once the product is absorbed or dissolved, it should be safe for the tortoise. Feeding plants to tortoises that have been grown in fertilizer should be fine too. All plants need fertilization. They can't grow without it.

The danger is all the usual pesticides, fungicides, herbicides and other such toxins that are sold in the lawn care section of every hardware store in the world. Often these toxins are mixed in with fertilizers, a la "weed n' feed" type products. Be careful. Read those labels.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Fertilizers in general are fine to use. The caveat is: Do NOT let the tortoise have direct access to the actual fertilizer product, be it granules, powder or liquid. Once the product is absorbed or dissolved, it should be safe for the tortoise. Feeding plants to tortoises that have been grown in fertilizer should be fine too. All plants need fertilization. They can't grow without it.

The danger is all the usual pesticides, fungicides, herbicides and other such toxins that are sold in the lawn care section of every hardware store in the world. Often these toxins are mixed in with fertilizers, a la "weed n' feed" type products. Be careful. Read those labels.
Thanks Tom. I am reluctant to use weed and feed for that reason and some can take upto 6 weeks to dissolve completely. I will check the ingredients of the liquid seaweed before using.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I am reluctant to use weed and feed for that reason and some can take upto 6 weeks to dissolve completely. I will check the ingredients of the liquid seaweed before using.
Never use weed n feed. The toxic chemicals in that can linger a long time. Some of them are designed to linger for a long time. "Slow release".

Only use regular plain fertilizers on a yard where a tortoise will be or where tortoise food will be grown. I would consider the liquid seaweed a regular fertilizer as long as it has no other additives mixed in to it.