Little green worms

Jaci

When I went to change their water bowl today, I noticed about 3-4 of these little green worm/ parasite looking things and it worries me. Are these threatening? Are they coming from my tortoise themselves or from other bugs that fly around their home?

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
You have to narrow it down a bit...or post a really clear photo of them...there are over 1 million species of insects alone...

But my guess is...not a concern...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I went to change their water bowl today, I noticed about 3-4 of these little green worm/ parasite looking things and it worries me. Are these threatening? Are they coming from my tortoise themselves or from other bugs that fly around their home?

I've never seen a parasitic worm that was green, so I am also guessing it is something else. Got a pic?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I have not seen anything like that and would be interested to see a picture and perhaps learn more !

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Picture would be helpful here....hopefully its nothing to worry about.

Jaci

Here's two more that I just picked out.

14648175567761022643418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I am no "Entomologist" but from what I can see , except for being green they look like maggots or some other "fly larvae" type of critter ! o_O

Jaci

I thought it was a baby caterpillar too but they wouldn't be in water, would they?
That was the beat picture I could get. They're so small.
Hopefully its some type of fly larvae or something.

Rue

Canada
Caterpillars will sometimes head for water, and then fall in the bowl, and can't get out. Or they were blown in somehow...and again, couldn't get out.

Again, I can't tell 100% from that photo, but doesn't look like a maggot. Plus, caterpillars are more likely to be green. Maggots are more likely to be white or white-ish.

Jaci

As long as you guys don't think its coming from my torts then I'm fine with that. I just didn't know if they looked familiar to anyone. Thanks for all the responses.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
As long as you guys don't think its coming from my torts then I'm fine with that. I just didn't know if they looked familiar to anyone. Thanks for all the responses.
I really doubt it came from your tort . They are some sort of larvae , probably some sort of fly or I guess they might be "caterpillars" which are butterfly and/or moth larvae ! ;)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Looks like caterpillars to me too. Do you feed fresh greens? Could they have come in withe your torts food?

Reactions: Rue

jay surfs

5 Year Member
Torrance, Ca
My first guess would be brain sucking maggots from planet uranus.

But if thats not the case....i'm fairly certain they are moth larva. i find creatures that look just like that all over my garden, they particularly enjoy eating my basil plants. They will form into brownish/red cacoons, often buried just under the surface of the soil.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I'm pretty sure they came off grocery store produce, or some sort of vegetation you picked from the yard. They eat plants and are not harmful to your tortoise.
I agree with yvonne. Ive washed store bought veggies before and found green wormie things in the water when i was done

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
They look like the little green caterpillars that are hanging from nearly every tree I've walked under for the past week!
They're cute, by my god are the "webs" (are caterpillar strings called webs?) sticky!