Little guy nibbled an a foxglove leaf

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I'd say he got maybe 8-10 nibbles off a leaf that fell in his habitat. I noticed foxglove is on the toxic list. I've since relocated the plant outside of the room I keep him in to prevent any further accidents. What should I do here???

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
So I read that you are to dilute the torts mouth with water, so I gave him an early bath and dropped a piece of kale in the water with him. Had a hard time getting the kale in his mouth, but the repeated attempts should get his mouth nice and diluted. I have a call into the vet and am waiting for a call back.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
So I read that you are to dilute the torts mouth with water, so I gave him an early bath and dropped a piece of kale in the water with him. Had a hard time getting the kale in his mouth, but the repeated attempts should get his mouth nice and diluted. I have a call into the vet and am waiting for a call back.

Good luck! Hopefully it isn’t extremely toxic and maybe only a few stomach bubbles and it’ll be fine. Usually with cases like this you’ll have to make a case to poison control before the vet can even talk to you. Either way I hope the little one stays healthy

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Good luck! Hopefully it isn’t extremely toxic and maybe only a few stomach bubbles and it’ll be fine. Usually with cases like this you’ll have to make a case to poison control before the vet can even talk to you. Either way I hope the little one stays healthy

So the vet office called back.She said sometimes they will recommend activated charcoal be mixed with water, but they have only recommended that for cats and dogs. She then gave me the # for poison control. They seem to only handle cats, dogs, horses, pigs, etc. and didn't give me much in the way of advice other than to monitor closely. I'm hoping he didn't get much in that little beak of his. I'm just glad I saw it before he went to town on it. :(

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Prevention is key to any further incidents like this. You keep him in a room? Is his enclosure covered?
Anyway, right now you might just soak him for about 30 minutes in warm water at a level up to where his carapace and plastron meet.
Make sure you have him put back into an enclosure with the correct temperatures and humidity, and with food and water available, and just watch him for any apparent problems. He may be OK, but you may need to take him to a good reptile vet.